Help with an Andersen French Door Lock

Old 08-14-06, 07:48 PM
Help with an Andersen French Door Lock

Any Good Ideas?

My wife wanted an Andersen French door, so I installed it and it has a pretty secure three point deadbolt. However, it has a latch on the inside. As such, if you break the glas (double pane), you can just disengage the lock and walk in!!!!

Andersen does not have a keyed interior lock nor will my local locksmith touch it (due to building code). I do have it alarmed but was wondering if there was anything else I can do??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-06, 02:53 AM
You will probably be able to purchase one of these at your local hardware store.

The backset is 2 & 3/8....you could fit them at top and bottom of the opening leaf (the latching side). Use the spindle key instead of the turn button.

http://www.era-security.com/acrobat_files/door%20accessories.pdf

Old 08-15-06, 05:56 PM
Thanks, I will check this out.

Old 08-24-06, 06:32 PM
locky

they sell a w2indow film thats clear and when smashed unable to remove glass

Old 08-24-06, 06:37 PM
makes glass unbreakable

A new safety and security product can turn your existing glass doors and windows into a secure glazing system. The product is GlassGard -- essentially a thin polyester film (no thicker than your fingernail) which adheres to the inside surface of glass, giving it added shatter resistance and increased energy efficiency

Old 08-24-06, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by sawzall
A new safety and security product can turn your existing glass doors and windows into a secure glazing system. The product is GlassGard -- essentially a thin polyester film (no thicker than your fingernail) which adheres to the inside surface of glass, giving it added shatter resistance and increased energy efficiency

3M is another manufacturer of security film. They have made it for many years

Old 03-21-08, 11:00 PM
Use the security system. Any aftermarket film added to the glass will void the 20 yr glass warranty. This my friend is true. by the way, most burglars use the silent tactic, glass makes lots of noise.

Old 03-26-08, 10:45 AM
Further investigation into the building code, has shown that the code differs between public and private buildings.

Public buildings require single cylinder products on exit doors, but private buildings do not come under the same classification.

It is the choice of the owner as to the installation of double cylinder locks. Most jurisdictions only provide legislation for public buildings (applications).

On the other hand, some private institutions, like private golf clubs and private schools, etc, are all actually classed as public buildings and therefore deemed to be required to comply with the "public" building code.

As far as I'm concerned, it is your choice and not the locksmiths. If the locksmith will not fit your desired product, find another who will.

Old 03-27-08, 05:09 AM
You need to check your local codes regarding a keyed lock from the inside. Here in Minnesota it is illegal, even if it's your seconday means of egress. It's a life safety issue; in an emergency, you don't want to be looking for a key to get out.

Old 03-27-08, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
You need to check your local codes regarding a keyed lock from the inside. Here in Minnesota it is illegal, even if it's your seconday means of egress. It's a life safety issue; in an emergency, you don't want to be looking for a key to get out.

No Bruce it is not illegal. I have read all sections of the building code in MN and also the fire code too.

All sections apply to public buildings or residences, not private dwellings. As evidenced in 7511.0202 Section 202 General Definitions, these are the places defined where the building code applies. Sections R1-4 are for residences of a public nature. Not Private.

Whereas they can recommend whatever they want, they cannot prevent you from your prefference.

Old 03-27-08, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
old

Old thread guys...hopefully the OP has solved his problem by now.

Old 03-27-08, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by GlobalLocky View Post
No Bruce it is not illegal. I have read all sections of the building code in MN and also the fire code too.

All sections apply to public buildings or residences, not private dwellings. As evidenced in 7511.0202 Section 202 General Definitions, these are the places defined where the building code applies. Sections R1-4 are for residences of a public nature. Not Private.

Whereas they can recommend whatever they want, they cannot prevent you from your prefference.
I won't get into a big argument again. All I will say is anyone here in Minnesota would be wise to check with their local authority before installing a double cylinder deadbolt in a residential occupancy.

Sorry everyone, didn't realize this was a ressurected thread.

Bruce

Old 04-22-08, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Old thread guys...hopefully the OP has solved his problem by now.
So What?

Further on the discussion of building codes, I recently attended a national meeting of building inspectors from cities across North America, Discussion at one point focussed on building codes and life safety regulations.

The majority of cities recognized the 2003 International Building Code as the guideline for developing any unique city codes.

When it comes to panic escape or building egress, double cylinder locks are allowed as long as they are not installed on the primary entrance/exit to an occupancy. This directly infers that any residential dwelling is permitted to have double cylinder locks except for the primary entrance/exit.

Public buildings on the other hand, where occupancy is greater than 100 people and the entrance/exit is considered a primary entrance/exit (as in the case of emergence or public safety) must be single action panic escape.