How do I remove the shank from a glass doorknob?

Old 08-24-06, 05:37 PM
Unhappy How do I remove the shank from a glass doorknob?

Hello-this is my first post on the forum, so please bear with me. I recently acquired an antique Old Town glass faceted doorknob set. They would be beautiful if I could clean the design, but nothing so far has worked to remove the thick, black gunk inside the knobs. Is there some way I could remove the shank from the glass part of the knob that would allow me easy access to the design? What product will get rid of the black, grainy stuff in all the grooves? It looks almost powdery. Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-06, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by fordellcastle
Hello-this is my first post on the forum, so please bear with me. I recently acquired an antique Old Town glass faceted doorknob set. They would be beautiful if I could clean the design, but nothing so far has worked to remove the thick, black gunk inside the knobs. Is there some way I could remove the shank from the glass part of the knob that would allow me easy access to the design? What product will get rid of the black, grainy stuff in all the grooves? It looks almost powdery. Please advise.
Hi fordellcastle,

And Welcome to the board. Unfortunately, there is nothing I know of, nor any way to access that area of a glass doorknob. There may be some ideas coming from some other moderators, or members, so keep an eye on your post. Someone may have the answer you need.

cuedude

Old 08-24-06, 09:34 PM
Quite often, certain types of door knobs, like the ones you describe, have threaded spindles. If you cant locate a threaded grub screw in the throat of the knob...you may be able to simply unscrew the knob from the shaft.

If you soak the whole knob (immerse) in either penetrene or sometimes kerosene or methylated spirits or petrol (gasoline), the properties in those liquids will break down whatever substance is in the grime.

Hope this helps

Old 08-25-06, 10:10 AM
I am willing to try anything, as I cannot use them as is. Thank you for the suggestions. I will let you know if this method cleans them...

Old 07-13-13, 11:45 AM
I know this is quite an old thread, but I am wondering if you found a way to clean the gunk between the crystal and metal shank? The link below is to an image of the crystal knob.

2013-07-13 13.34.05 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 07-14-13, 09:32 AM
I would suggest using paint thinners to clean the rust off the glass in your picture, but be careful as paint thinners can be very dangerous and take off your fingertips too. If not used sparingly, it could eat through the crystal too.

Old 07-17-13, 06:38 PM
Try a small amount of acetone on a very small sample portion of your knob...in a location that won't show the damage if it turns out to be too strong. Really old knobs were actual glass, but later knobs were acrylic, which look like glass, but solvents can ruin them.