Removing yale lock set

Old 08-30-06, 10:45 AM
Removing yale lock set

My Yale locksets have a push on finish ring. Behind the ring are the screws. I can't get to the screws (no room). I don't see any holes or latches to release the handle. Is there a way to remove the handle?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-06, 06:33 AM
Welcome to the forums, charbill!

Do you have any idea how old your locks are? It has been a long time since I have worked on a Yale, but I know on the older, heavier duty ones, the knob could be removed by rotating and depressing a spring retainer through an access hole. Sometimes the trim on these would rotate, preventing alignment of the access hole and spring retainer without adjustment.

Old 08-31-06, 12:18 PM
Is it possible the door has been painted with the lock left on (not removed)?

The paint might be hiding the little gap where you put a flat blade screwdriver in and pry the rosette off.

It is usually necessary to pop the inside knob off first and there will be a retainer pin or disc or spring visible on the neck (throat) that needs to be depressed while applying pulling force to the knob.

Once the knob is off...as schiejr suggested, it might be as simple as unscrewing the rosette....but this will be unlikely if there are connecting screws through the backplate. A threaded rosette is usually used when there are no backplate connecting screws.

Old 08-31-06, 03:16 PM
Removing yale lock set

This set is only one year old. Probably cheapest quality as it came with new tract house. It is not painted on. I can pry the finish ring away from the door and see the two screws. The finish ring will not slip over the lever handle and I have not seen a hole or slot to release the handle. Is there some other kind of release mechanism to remove the handle?
Thanks for all your inputs.

Old 08-31-06, 07:44 PM
Hi Charbill,

I have a question. You said you cannot see any place/way to remove the inside handle from the lever set? How thick is your door? Not all locksets are created equal, and may not be designed for a thick door. If it is, the access hole for the inside lever may be covered. Especially with a yale. If it is, this will be virtually impossible to see. It is usually at the 3 O:Clock, or 9 O:Clock position. You could drill a small hole, like 5/32" or so, about an eighth inch from the outer edge of the collar shiejr mentioned. Just use caution when drilling. This would allow you to see the retainer, and would be small enough to be un-noticable. Once you find it, you can use a paperclip, small nail, or even a scribe to depress the retainer. Once the retainer is depressed, pull the inside lever off, and remove the inner rose plate. This exposes the screws, and you should be able to take it from there.

cuedude

Old 09-01-06, 09:12 AM
Here is some info from the Yale website with pictures that show how to release a handle and the location of the access hole. Copy and paste into your browser, as hyperlinks are disabled in this forum.

http://www.yalelock.com/EPiBrowser/Yale%20USA/Installation%20manuals/YH%20Lockset%20Installation.pdf

Hopefully this will help with the steps that Cuedude has provided.

Old 09-02-06, 12:08 PM
removing yale lockset

Thanks for all your help.
I found the release pin at the 9 o'clock position.
The mistake I made was prying off the push on finish ring first.
By doing that I covered the release pin with the finish ring!
Again, thanks; you provide a great service to us do-it-yourselfers.

Old 09-03-06, 07:19 PM
Thumbs up

Glad to help. Thanks for posting a follow-up.