Older Sargent deadbolt and thumb latch

Old 10-13-06, 10:55 PM
Older Sargent deadbolt and thumb latch

I have removed the thumblatch assy and interior knob as well as the interior dead bolt knob but can't remove the exterior key tumbler assy. The mortised portion of the lock is still in the door and the plate around the key machanism has false screws so it must be held in by other means. There is no key and I wish to remove as I am refinishing the door and want to have keys made. Help---thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-06, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the forums, reachgeorge!

Could you paste this link in your browser and tell us which lock yours is most similar to?

http://www.sargentlock.com/products/cyl_deadbolt/product_group.php

You describe a thumblatch and an interior deadbolt knob, so it does not sound like a double cylinder deadbolt. A lock with knobs and thumbturns sounds like a mortise lock, similar to the 8200 series in the link. If so, to remove the cylinder there is a plate on the edge of the door and a recessed set screw that needs to be loose to remove the mortise cylinder.

Old 10-14-06, 11:27 AM
you're on target

It is not a double cylinder,and there is a slot head screw in the edge that lines up w/ the cylinder. I have turned it to the stops in both directions and the cylinder still seems locked in place[no pun intended]I have no key to the lock now and don't know if thats a problem.I had read,on one posting, that you insert the key and use it to unscrew the cylinder. I don't want to break the lock so if you have any further info. it's appreciated. Lock was installed in the 20's or 30's so it's an older unit and is a mortised lock simular but not exactly like the 8200. The 8200 doesn't show the set screw in the edge. Thanks again,George

Old 10-14-06, 07:48 PM
Having the key to unscrew the cylinder can definitely help if it is stiff and will not damage it. Some older Sargents, the ones I am familiar with are not as old as yours, used a yoke with a slot head screw. Sometimes this assembly can break or the screw can become stripped-although if it is stripped the cylinder is often loose.

If all the screws and plates are loose the cylinder should be loose enough to turn out, even without a key. The other possibilities are someone screwed it in very tight, corrosion/crud are on the threads or they are damaged or crossthreaded. You could try some lubricant on the threads if you spray it from the edge of the lock.

The last resort is to use a channellocks to grip the cylinder. Try gentle pressure first, this is often enough to get it started. You could also try cushioning the jaws with a rag which may help reduce marks on the cylinder. If the yoke is jammed-this may damage or break the yoke. The cylinder will also be damaged but inexpensive replacements are available if matching the keyway is not an issue.

The other option of course would be to call a locksmith.
Good luck!

Old 10-15-06, 10:03 PM
you are correct

the cylinder is out and i shall now be successful thanks to the great info. This is a teriffic site and i shall return THANKS george