Removing a 1950 glass doorknob

Old 10-25-06, 10:59 AM
Exclamation Removing a 1950 glass doorknob

I need help in removing several glass doorknobs from interior doors. The house was built in 1950 and the doorknobs and lock sets are original. I've removed screws from estrucheon plate/cover and then loosened set screws on shaft of knob but all they do is spin around. How do I remove the knobs?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-06, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by danatphc
I need help in removing several glass doorknobs from interior doors. The house was built in 1950 and the doorknobs and lock sets are original. I've removed screws from estrucheon plate/cover and then loosened set screws on shaft of knob but all they do is spin around. How do I remove the knobs?
Hi danatphc,

Welcome to the frey. As these are glass, there are two types. The first is the older style. These screw onto the spindle. Look closely at the spindle for any threads. If you see them, keep turning them pulling slightly as they may be stripped. The second type, newer, are held on by set screws. You said that you loosened those, try taking them all the way out. Look into the hole. You might find that the spindle is split. If it is, it may have been forced beyond it's normal width, and all the would be required is to pull them off. But first look into the hole, and around the edge of the escussion plate for threads.

I hope this helps, or at least points you in the right direction. Drop back and let us know how it goes? Good luck.

cuedude

Old 10-25-06, 06:03 PM
WGW
The glass knobs in my house are original as well and dated back to the 50s.
As cuedude mentioned, many of them have stripped threads and need a little coaxing to get them off.

Regards

Old 10-30-06, 09:06 AM
Thumbs up

Those responses were great!! I was able to remove the door knobs with no problem thanks to your information. What a great website and forum.

Danatphc

Old 10-30-06, 08:12 PM
...fwiw..those glass knobs are collectors items in some parts...and sometimes in high demand.
http://kilianhardware.com/crysdoorknob1.html