broken thumb latch on old handle

Old 11-22-06, 05:07 PM
broken thumb latch on old handle

the locks/handles on front door of our old house have never worked right. since we don't use it much we haven't fooled with it but we've had the house repainted and i took the lock/handle out of the door thinking i woudl replace them. after looking around at new locksets we've decided to get this repaired if possible. it's got warden on the back side with 5420 (i think) above it. the thumb latch is broken, and has been heald together with duct tape. it looks like it could be welded back together but i don't know what the handle is made of. i cleaned it and it's got a silver finish (hammered). i'm thinking perhaps nickel plated brass? or pewter? i brought it to a local hardware store and had no luck there. does this sound like a feasible repair? the door has been chiselled around the handle, so replacing it would require more rehab than i want (or can) do.
any ideas on a repair? is it possible to weld it back together?
or is there another way to fix it? or perhaps replace the broken piece?
any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-06, 04:30 AM
Originally Posted by wag55
the locks/handles on front door of our old house have never worked right. since we don't use it much we haven't fooled with it but we've had the house repainted and i took the lock/handle out of the door thinking i woudl replace them. after looking around at new locksets we've decided to get this repaired if possible. it's got warden on the back side with 5420 (i think) above it. the thumb latch is broken, and has been heald together with duct tape. it looks like it could be welded back together but i don't know what the handle is made of. i cleaned it and it's got a silver finish (hammered). i'm thinking perhaps nickel plated brass? or pewter? i brought it to a local hardware store and had no luck there. does this sound like a feasible repair? the door has been chiselled around the handle, so replacing it would require more rehab than i want (or can) do.
any ideas on a repair? is it possible to weld it back together?
or is there another way to fix it? or perhaps replace the broken piece?
any help would be greatly appreciated
Happy Thanksgiving wag55,

I personally do not know of a lock called warden. Maybe some of the others here may know.

And speaking from a location where everything is priced too high, the repair will probably cost as much as a replacement. Although, it can be done.

Not knowing the brand of lock, I'm not sure if replacement parts would be available. I've never seen a thumbturn available.

Wish I had better news for you. Let's see what others reply to this posting.

cuedude

Old 11-23-06, 04:35 PM
WGW
I've never heard of that particular manufacturer either.
A picture is worth a thousand words...
If restoring is what you want to do, then I'd advise taking it to your local Locksmith as they are most likely to have the ability to either retrofit a part from another brand name or fabricate something suitable if needed. The thumbpiece could possibly be brazed to repair it.
When you take it in, ask for an estimate so you'll know whether a repair is worth your money.
The Locksmith should be able to recommend a new lockset and/or hardware that will cover the old cutouts in your door if that's what you decide.

Regards

Old 11-28-06, 10:13 PM
Warden locks are manufactured in South Africa. I am attempting to locate more information. Will post here in due course.

These days they usually make euro mortice locks, are you after a euro cylinder mortice lock or a round threaded cylinder?

Old 11-29-06, 12:28 PM
OK. I just found out that Warden locks went out of business in 2000. I contacted some of my colleagues in SA but they dont have any old parts anymore....

Suggest you replace the product.

Perhaps a picture of the installation might help to offer a recommendation.

Thanks for listening