Re-keying Schlage padlock

Old 01-21-07, 03:57 PM
oel
Re-keying Schlage padlock

I have a Schlage padlock that I need to key but cannot get the cylinder out of the lock. I opened it and removed the screw inside the hasp hole but the cylinders will not drop out. Is there a trick or do I need a special key?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-07, 04:38 PM
WGW
Welcome to the DIY forums oel
So far as I remember, there is no trick to removing a schlage cylinder from the padlock body.
If you have the screw removed completly from the shackle hole, then just rap it on a table a few times to dislodge the cylinder.
They will sometimes stick in there when the old grease hardens.

Regards

Old 01-21-07, 04:50 PM
oel
re-keying schlage padlock

I have tried to do that. I even put a punch in the screw hole and tapped on it and got no results.

Old 01-21-07, 05:45 PM
WGW
Ok, there were a couple of different styles made.
The most common I found were removed as described.
It's been a while, so bear with me on this one...
In a much older style Schlage padlock there may be a ball bearing in the casing that engages both the lock body and the cylinder and is held in place by the screw you removed. The ball bearing can usually be moved free of the cylinder by rapping the side of the padlock body on a bench.
This part of the job is done so automatcally, it's hard to remember, but I believe that as you rap it on the wide side, the open side of the shackle would be on your right.
Spraying lube down the screw hole might help too.

Old 01-21-07, 10:43 PM
oel

Still no luck. I saturated it with liquid wrench until no more black was coming out. everything is very loose. It still drops a fraction and somthing is holding it from coming all the way out. I could not see or find any ball bearing inside. It looks very clean down in the screw hole, showing only a slot on both sides of the threads but nothing big enough for a ball bearing. I knocked it on all sides with no luck. I appreciate the help. If something more comes to your mind I would appreciate something more to try. It has become quite a challenge for me NOW.

Old 01-23-07, 04:48 PM
WGW
On the last one I referred to, you would'nt see the ball bearing because it is inserted through the hole that the cylinder sits in and would only be seen once the cylinder has been removed.

If you have slight movement in the cylinder, then I would think that it is'nt the ball bearing type.
Try inserting the existing key (if you have one) and lightly turning it to bind, then you may have enough of a grip to pull it out using pliers on the key.
Another option would be to take it into your local Locksmith store and ask a service tech to show you how it's removed.

Old 01-23-07, 06:30 PM
oel

Thanks for the information. I will keep at it and try the locksmith and let you know the final results, unless the dynamite works.