Schlage deadbolt problem

Old 01-30-07, 04:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Schlage deadbolt problem

Recently I noticed that my double cylinder Schlage deadbolt, type C does not work properly. When I engage the deadbolt by turning the key ( locking) it seems to come out all the way, however turning the key to remove it the deadbolt retracts a bit and is not locked in place. I can then push it back in with no problem. When I lock and hold the deadbolt with my fingers to prevent it from moving back when removing key, it works. It remains locked in place. I took the lock apart to investigate but other than the little plastic piece being possibly worn out I can't see anything wrong.

Any ideas. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-07, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the question.
Could be a number of things but the most immediate thing that springs to mind is.....the whole in the door for the backset (the bolt) might not be drilled correctly or is askew a bit. This could cause the mechanism to bind slightly hence not allowing the bolt to throw completely.

Remedy this by making the hole slightly larger using a round rasp or file.

Alternatively, if the bolt is not checked in correctly...or it is sitting proud a bit...it could also make it bind...causing a similar action.

Or it could be a faulty mechanism. A replacement mechanisn can be ordered from your local locksmith. They cost around $15.00

Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

Old 01-31-07, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the welcome. It is a great forum, wealth of information here.
I do not think it is a hole for deadbolt since I can duplicate the problem with the door open with the deadbolt not going into anything. It comes out the entire way. There is something that fails to "lock" the deadbolt in place once fully extended and prevent it from moving back when I turn the key back to remove it. The lock worked fine when I first installed it so either something broke inside or wore out. I called schlage they are supposed to send me replacement lock within 3 weeks, but in the menatime the lock is basically useless.

Old 01-31-07, 04:27 PM
WGW
Hi statking

I believe GlobalLocky was on track whether the door is open or closed.
Something else you might try, is taking it out again and spraying all moving parts with lubrication. Often times, locks tend to dry out in the winter months and should be lubed to help keep them working.

Regards

Old 02-01-07, 11:40 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for your suggestions.
The problem turned out to be that the main parts(where you insert key)on both sides of the door were too close to the door edge and that in turn prevented the interior mechanism to move all the way out in order to fully engage the lock. ( the part that actually moves the deadbolt did not have enough room to fully expand and lock). When I moved things away from door edge, just a bit it worked fine. In the meantime I did lubricate everything inside to move smothly.
Thanks again for all imput.

Old 12-07-08, 09:28 AM
Got a weird one relative to Schlage vs US Lock

Since this forum seems to be very savvy about Schlage deadbolts..

I need HELP! The house that we presently own are populated with US Locks on all doors.

They used a 2" backset!

Is there any deadbolt cylninders "out" there that will accomodate this for Schalge?

I just bought one to replace the broken US Lock on our front door...

Any help or advice here would be much appreciated!

Old 12-08-08, 09:43 PM
In some cases you can purchase just the cylinder only that will replace the existing cylinders in some locks.

Otherwise NO!

Old 12-09-08, 02:00 AM
Further thinking about this.....

2" backset usually indicates a narrow stile door lock also known as an Atrium Door Lock.

These usually use a "teardrop" shaped cylinder also known as a "Euro" or "Profile" cylinder.

You can definitely order a Schlage keyway in a profile cylinder....but they can be expensive.