Schlage door knob removal

Old 02-07-07, 08:01 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Schlage door knob removal

I am trying to remove the "outer" door knob so I can rekey the lock. The inner door knob can be removed by pushing in the slotted hole and pulling off the door knob. The outer door knob has a small circular hole, but I can't seem to figure out how it works. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 02-08-07, 06:54 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Door Knob

The outer knob probably will not remove by itself. Remove the inner knob and see if the outer knob and shaft will slide out. Good luck.

Old 02-08-07, 08:25 AM
I
To just pull of the keyed side of the Schlage knob........

insiert key and turn a quarter turn THEN push in on the retainer by the throat and the knob will pull off. You the same method for reinstalling.

Old 02-08-07, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by im3rd001 View Post

insiert key and turn a quarter turn THEN push in on the retainer by the throat and the knob will pull off. You the same method for reinstalling.
Good discription im3rd001. That's exactly correct. Another thing which is frustrating is when the design of the knob is such that you can't get the little cover which holds the lock off from the inside of the knob. For this, I push the face of the lock with my finger, until I can get something under it, then work it around. Even a key will work for this. I've maybe been fortunate, but I've never scratched a knob, nor bent one.

Again, thanks for the super answer.

cuedude

Old 02-14-07, 12:08 AM
G
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
The outer knob probably will not remove by itself. Remove the inner knob and see if the outer knob and shaft will slide out. Good luck.
Wirepuller38, I did just that but still counldn't get the outer knob off to rekey the lock...going to try the inserting key and quarter turning suggestion.

Gilt4tennis

Old 02-14-07, 12:10 AM
G
Originally Posted by im3rd001 View Post

im3rd001,

thanks for the directions, i will give it a try. i suppose the reason for that is to limit access to key holders.

gilt4tennis

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: