Schlage lever will not come off!!!

Old 04-04-07, 10:52 PM
Schlage lever will not come off!!!

Hi! For some reason, I can't see any threads? Am I doing something wrong? I saw them earlier but now I can't! Anyways, I think someone tried to pull the handle off my front door because it is VERY loose and I know it wasn't like that a couple days ago. My dad, my friend and the builder of my house have all tried to take the handle off but it will not come off! Any suggestions? We tried to stick a paper clip in that little hole in the handle but nothing happens. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Kristin

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-07, 11:31 PM
Often it is necessary to turn the key before pressing the retainer in that "little hole".

Unless you are trying to take the inside lever off, of course.

It sounds like you need to remove the inside lever, take the rose off and tighten the connecting screws.

Old 04-04-07, 11:37 PM
I'm trying to remove the inside lever. The deadbolt is separate from the lever so turning the key doesn't help.

Old 04-04-07, 11:46 PM
What brand of lock are you working on?

If it is schlage or a schlage copy, you will need to press in the small retainer disc on the throat and pull the lever off while holding the retainer in.

Then, sometimes you need to just tighten the rosette by turning it clockwise, unless it has hidden retainer screws under the rosette.

Old 04-04-07, 11:55 PM
It is a Schlage. I'm not really sure what I am doing as I am not handy at all! Here is a picture of my door...I'm not really sure what you mean.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/kyata/DSC_7291.jpg

Old 04-05-07, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the forums, Kristin!

That picture is a great help. It looks like you may have something similar to sectional trim on a mortise lock. Not a lock you would expect in a residential setting though:

http://professional.schlage.com/pdfs/literature/L-Series2006.pdf

The small indentation allows a spanner wrench to get a grip on the threaded bushing to either tighten or loosen the handle.

Once the handle is removed the other trim can be removed to access screws or itself tightened (it may be threaded also) as needed. I am not sure what your style has for sure.

If you do not have a spanner wrench a pliers could be used-try to cushion the jaws or you will tear up the finish. Typically, you just need to break it loose if tight and it will turn off with fingers.

Last edited by schiejr; 04-05-07 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-05-07, 05:49 PM
Oh WOW~!!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!! I'm not sure what a spanner wrench is but I used something different (not sure what it's called but it's L shaped) to stick in the hole for leverage and loosen the handle!! Now I feel safe again!! Thank you so much!!!!!! =)