Removing Old Schlage Deadbolt

Old 06-20-07, 09:50 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Old Schlage Deadbolt

I am trying to replace a Schlage deadbolt. It could more than 40 years old. I see one hole on each side of the lock. They are just to the right of the keyhole. The big problem is that the holes are covered with some really hard substance. There might be a screw under the substance but I can't tell. The material is really hard and I could barely scratch it with my screwdriver. Anybody got any idea on what this substance is and how to remove it. I thought about drilling but I was hoping for an easier solution.

Old 06-21-07, 10:17 AM
S
Welcome to the forums, Unlocky!

I believe these deadbolts used drive-in metal caps to cover the screws. Your best bet, without drilling would be to punch/pry at the edges.

Considering the age, if previous service was done and the caps were not replaced, perhaps someone used epoxy to cover the screws? This would be more in line with your description of a "substance". Probably need to drill/chisel if this is the case.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-07, 10:19 AM
R
Is it a double cylinder deadbolt? (Key on both sides)?

Old 06-22-07, 01:09 PM
U
Yes, it is a double cylinder deadbolt. I also found out it is pre WWII.

Old 06-25-07, 11:30 PM
Desperation can lead to feeble and destructive attempts at fixing simple problems. Perhaps the simple solution here maybe to use an EZYOUT.

It reuires that you drill a hole in the screw head and wind the ezyout counterclockwise into your hole. The screws should come out easily and you will probably be able to reuse them

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: