Schlage 2 piece strikeplate

Old 06-10-07, 02:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Schlage 2 piece strikeplate

The strikeplate on the front door is TWO pieces. The actual tongue can be slipped out of the screw plate, but I can't remove the screwplate itself. It appears to be tucked beneath (or behind) the wood of the door frame itself. I even bent it out somewhat straight but couldn't lever it out without knowing what kind of damage I would to to the frame. Since I'm trying to help out a friend with her "new" house and she wanted a pretty copper Schlage one-piece assembly on the front door (and I've had a fair amount of experience with replacing deadbolts and doorknobs), I thought it would be fairly simple. The existing two piece deadbolt and doorknob are Schlage, so I assume this two-piece strikeplate is as well. HELP!! Thanks, CaroChel

Old 06-11-07, 11:36 AM
S
Welcome to the forums Carochel!

I agree with you that this task should have been straight forward. I am not sure what the problem would be. My first thought was a tight mortise but you said you were able to pry the plate up some.

Is it the stop that is covering the strike? I am not sure how long the adjustable strikes are. I can't say I have seen this before but even if it was you should be able to slide it out if all the screws are removed. My thought is there may be a screw concealed under the stop if the strike is extra long.

Sorry I can't be more definitive. Perhaps one of the other members may have an idea.

Old 06-11-07, 12:32 PM
C

Thank you for replying. Is the "strike" the top molding of the wood casing around the door? If so, then how do I handle it? Let me explain more thoroughly since I may have used the wrong terms and I'm not perfectly clear on your terms.
What exactly is the 'stop' you referred to? Is it wood or metal?
What I've called the 'strikeplate' is the metal guide that the latch slips into on the door frame to secure the door. Mysteriously, the existing one is two pieces: (1) a silvery curved piece that guides the latch into the hole and which is secured under the 2nd piece by two fingers of metal on either side of the 2nd frame (2) a brass frame which screws into the wood, but which has a right angle bend that disappears under the top piece of wood [about 2" wide] on the face (the side facing out to the room) of the door frame.
Even when I unbent the right-angle, I couldn't lever out the frame--and I hesitated to destroy the door casing messing with it further. Eventually, I just gently bent it back into place, slide the "tongue" piece back into place behind it and replaced the two short screws. In a different setting, I would probably have explored more vigorously, but I'm helping a friend get her "new" house in shape and just didn't see obliterating the front door casing as part of the project. LOL
Yes, I know just ignoring the whole thing and using the existing strikeplate is undoubtedly the way to go, but it has roused my curiosity since I've not encountered this in the 100 or so door assemblies I've done over the years.

Old 06-11-07, 06:04 PM
W
WGW
The kind of strike plate your describing does'nt sound like anything I've seen (could just be the long day I had today..)
Is it possible to provide a picture or two?

Old 06-12-07, 06:42 AM
C

I'd be happy to snap the pix, but haven't a clue how to upload them to this site. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Old 06-12-07, 02:52 PM
W
WGW
To provide pictures, you would need to upload them to an external site such as Photobucket, and provide the link to it.

Old 06-12-07, 06:33 PM
S
My strike is the same as the strike plate you described, just shortened. The stop is the narrow part of the door jamb that protrudes and the door stops against. I am assuming a wood frame, thus a wood stop. My thought is a carpenter installed the wood stop-if it is not a prehung door-over the strike plate-which would not normally be the case unless it was extra long.

Some labeled parts:
http://jcgi.pathfinder.com/toh/print/0,17071,216214,00.html

I googled "adjustable strike" images and it looks like several security adjustable strikes are quite long, providing extra attachment points for added strength. If one of these was used I could see the stop covering part of it. Taking a stop off can get ugly depending on the finish and how well it is attached.

Old 06-13-07, 05:26 AM
C

Hi schiejr! Thank you for so much info. I enjoyed the labeled parts, and it appears (I think) that the right angle of the strikeplate is tucked behind the CASING, not the strike. Think coming forward instead of backward, so that when you face the closed door, the plate disappears beneath the top board of the casing. The building used these peculiar strikes on each of the 4 locking doors of this residence, so they probably have something to do with increased security. And piece at the front door is appreciably narrower than the other doors.

They probably are "adjustable strikes" since the "tongue" can be moved until it's secured (by pressure) after the screws are tightened. Its appearance is normal until you look closer and see it disappear around the front corner and tuck under the wood casing.

Since the wood casing is unmarred (despite my previous efforts to remove the plate!) and the only reason to replace the existing one is cosmetic to change it to a new matching copper strikeplate, I am throwing my hands up and abandoning that part of project.

In fact, I managed to bolox up a simple single deadlock on a different door yesterday, crossthreading one of the two looooong screws beneath the rose, so I'm disheartened and defeated on the whole project. The locksmith arrives at 10 to straighten out the matter and I'll go sit in a corner with my needlework and duncecap to pout. But I will ask HIM about these strange strikeplates. If there's any information to add, I'll let you know.

Note to WGW! Thanks also to you! I have hauled my camera here to NC from my San Diego home, so I will snap some photos [and I will share them with my husband when I arrive home to see if he's encountered such bizarre creatures before] and see if I can upload them later. My friend is much more knowledgeable on doing such things with computers than I am, so perhaps it will happen. If nothing else, I remember uploading some pix to Webshots a while back that would at least allow the pix to be seen.

I'm so delighted to have discovered this marvelous site--and greatly appreciate the generosity of spirit from both of you. Thanks!!

Old 06-13-07, 09:52 AM
C
Unhappy Schlage 2 piece strikeplate

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2445892360043434221AnIdBQ

should give the 4 photos, shot from slightly different angles.

The locksmiths will not remove and replace these plates, but one of them did assure me that there are no concealed screws behind the wood casing of the door. He did say that the last one he worked on took most of the facing with it, so his company doesn't allow removal of them any more.

Thanks again for your help, but I'm quite finished with this project! LOL

Old 06-13-07, 03:31 PM
S
That is not near the stop, the casing/molding is the place to start. Thanks for the followup and pics. Always good to quit while your ahead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: