Deadbolt all of sudden is hard to turn

Old 07-13-07, 04:36 AM
Question Deadbolt all of sudden is hard to turn

This just started this week and honestly I thought it was because we were starting the dog days of summer here in Maryland. But don't that is the problem. The deadbolt will turn easier if you push on the door (if you are inside) and pull on the doorknob (if you are outside). The lock and door are 6 years old. The house is 45 years old.

Any suggestions? Hubby did try to shift the lockplate over a little and it helped some.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-07, 06:39 AM
Axel grease on boltwork?

Old 07-14-07, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the forums, kimbers867!

How does the lock work when the door is open?
If it is smooth then most likely there is some binding at the bolt.

Wood doors often swell a bit with the humidity. Moving or filing the strike plate is usually the solution. Why is it better but still binding? Perhaps more clearance is needed. Also, make sure enough wood is removed from the area under the strike plate for the bolt to enter the jamb.

If it is not smooth when open then it most likely a question of lubrication as GlobalLocky mentioned. If lubrication does not work, it could be the start of a mechanical problem with the lock/bolt itself.

Old 07-24-07, 04:38 AM
Question Still not fixed - infact act worse

Hubby noticed today that when you shut the door, he said the frame looks bowed. Snug at the top and button but a gap around the top and bottom of the lock. I was out looking on the forum and it sounds like it is a door problem. He has in his head we have termites. I keep telling him to stop! LOL

When the door is open the lock works fine. It's just when the door is closed it is getting tougher.

Today I noticed on the top doorframe (where the door slides in under the frame) there is a small gash in it. I can feel on the top of the door something that is raised that could have caused this. I honestly think the door has settled into the house.

He said he tried removing the hinge screws but they wouldn't budge and at first he didn't think that was the problem. Now he is not sure.

Any suggestions, or am I on the right track that the door is sagging?

Thanks a lot. I love reading all the stuff out here!!! A wonderful place!

Old 07-24-07, 08:47 AM
The simple solution here is to widen the strike hole. You can file the strike plate sides (of hole) and keep doing this until it works properly.

The alignment is definitely the problem. If it works fine when open, then simply adjust the strike to solve your problem.

Simplest, cheapest and most effective.