Remote Keyless Entry in the wall

Old 10-04-07, 01:35 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remote Keyless Entry in the wall

I am interested in Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) for a house or RV. I am thinking of installing the lock in the wall instead of in the door because that would avoid having to get electricity across the hinge. Is there anything on the market for that?

If not, what is a good way to get electric power across the hinge? It's not as easy as for a car. The house door might swing 180° and there is almost no space between door and jamb. I've considered spring-loaded contacts. Electric hinges do exist where the hinge pin is a tube where the wire is fed, but these are pricey.

Old 10-04-07, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hh401tech
I am interested in Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) for a house or RV. I am thinking of installing the lock in the wall instead of in the door because that would avoid having to get electricity across the hinge. Is there anything on the market for that?

If not, what is a good way to get electric power across the hinge? It's not as easy as for a car. The house door might swing 180° and there is almost no space between door and jamb. I've considered spring-loaded contacts. Electric hinges do exist where the hinge pin is a tube where the wire is fed, but these are pricey.

They are battery operated.

Only ones I've seen otherwise are for electrically operated gate latches.

Old 10-05-07, 07:10 AM
H
Well, your answer helped lead me down another path. I'm looking at electromagnetic locks that have an armature on the door. These are locked as long as electric power is applied. Then there are the electric strikes where it UNlocks when power is applied. The latter are about 4 times the price of the former. I'm surprised how pricey these are.

Old 10-09-07, 08:09 PM
There are many new products available that could solve your problem.

One of which is a sensational new product called the Bioaxxis BDI deadbolt. It is battery operated and also has key override. It is a fingerprint ID deadbolt (very good quality). The reader comes with a functional cover that protects it.

Sold at locksmiths primarily ~$400.00. Easy to install, similar to installing a regular deadbolt.

Might be another solution for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: