Help a girl out?

Old 11-17-07, 08:01 PM
Help a girl out?

I'm currently writing a story -- nothing new there :P -- with a scene when a troublesome little seven-year-old gives her twenty-something aunt trouble by blockading herself and three of her friends in her room after stealing her aunt's most precious possessions. They blockaded the door with her dresser and locked it.

The thing is...that in the story, I have the aunt retrieve a screwdriver and undo the screws on the outside of the door to get inside. I imagine the door looking something like this:

but with a lever handle rather than a durango handle.
I was wondering if it was possible to take off the faceplate of a doorknob when it's locked from the other side; and if so, if one could somehow unlock the door and pop out the other side of the doorhandle to open the door.

...maybe picking the lock would be simpler...

I hope someone could help me in some way.

xoxo
Kate the Great!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-07, 08:40 PM
You haven't had to open your own bathroom door from the outside once or twice? Possibly to fetch out just such a stubborn child? You're lucky!

A bedroom is going to have a privacy lock -- all that is needed to open it in most models is something long and pointy, such as a small screwdriver or the inside of a ballpoint pen. Just stick it in and turn the knob, takes about a second. Of course that doesn't make for much of a story.

Even if she had a real keyed entry lock for some strange reason, besides not being believeable, it wouldn't have the screws on the outside. Otherwise we'd sure have a lot more breakins and fewer broken windows in this world!

Perhaps you could have her obstruct the hole on that privacy lock with bubble gum or something before she closed the door.

Old 11-18-07, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by core View Post
You haven't had to open your own bathroom door from the outside once or twice? Possibly to fetch out just such a stubborn child? You're lucky!

A bedroom is going to have a privacy lock -- all that is needed to open it in most models is something long and pointy, such as a small screwdriver or the inside of a ballpoint pen. Just stick it in and turn the knob, takes about a second. Of course that doesn't make for much of a story.

Even if she had a real keyed entry lock for some strange reason, besides not being believeable, it wouldn't have the screws on the outside. Otherwise we'd sure have a lot more breakins and fewer broken windows in this world!

Perhaps you could have her obstruct the hole on that privacy lock with bubble gum or something before she closed the door.
Thank you so much! I didn't even think of that.
You're the best.