Sclage lock problem


Old 12-15-07, 09:05 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 161
Sclage lock problem

I need to replace a front entry door knob and lock. It is an older Schlage knob with a push button lock.

The hole in the door is inset 4" from the edge of the door to the edge of the hole and 5" to the center of the hole.

I cannot find any replacement knobs that are for a hole inset so far. Everything seems to be about 2 1/8" to 2 3/4" inset.

Is there any kind of lock that is made for such a deeply inset hole?

Any suggestions are very welcome and appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-07, 12:17 PM
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 674
While not common anymore, parts are still available for 5" backsets. The lock is the same, you need the longer latch or an extender.

Your local locksmith shop would be a good place to start and some online vendors may carry them also.
Old 12-15-07, 03:43 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 161
Thanks for responding. After I posted I did a 'search' and found a lot of information from previous posts about this problem. I'm not the first one to look for a 'backset extender'.

I will be calling a local locksmith on Monday.

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-16-07, 08:55 PM
GlobalLocky's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 925
I'm sure you will have no problem finding a replacement 5" backset. In case you do, other manufacturers make 127mm backsets that will fit in place.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes