Door knob hole repair + replacement of old broken door knob

Old 12-25-07, 04:37 PM
Door knob hole repair + replacement of old broken door knob

Hi,

I have a solid wooden door with a broken door knob. the door knob is quite hard to turn even when lubricated and the knobs themselves are wobbling.

upon removing the door knob, i noticed that the holes have become bigger. the wood is also chipped. when i tried placing the new door knob that i purchased, its quite wobbly in the hole.

is there a way for me to make hole smaller? and at the same time get rid of the chipping?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-07, 05:51 PM
WGW
Hi laplacexform;
The type of door knobs you have will dictate the remedy.

If you have the old knob and spindle style, you can just buy larger roses (the cover plates that screw to the face of the door) These are large enough to give you fresh wood to screw into.

If you have a knob style that goes through an 2 1/8 cutout, then there is a product that is made which is a metal sleeve that mounts on the door edge and will provide clean holes to mount your new knobset into.

Hope this helps, and please let us know how it worked so others might benefit as well.

Regards

Old 12-26-07, 06:55 PM
Question

i cannot find any metal sleeve you were mentioning in your post in my place.

just an additional info, the old door knob already left a 2-1/8" diameter hole.

would it be right if i place i saw off a round solid wood a little bit less than 2-1/8" in diameter and use epoxy to bind it to the hole and then fill the rest with putty/filler? after things have been set, i will just drill another 2-1/8" hole.

what i am thinking of is that, should i offset the new hole from the "patched up" hole, or should i place it in a different location (not on top of the original hole)?

thanks,
leonard

Old 12-27-07, 01:15 PM
Any chance of cutting some shims the thickness of the door and placing them around the lock body to have something solid to tighten down against?

Unless you have a strong bond, your plug may be ripped out but you would only have your labor invested-worth a shot if you have the time.

Moving the hole might be an option if you have room to do it but then you also have to move the strike plate and cover the latch- a lot of work and additional appearance issues.

I think something like this is what WGW had in mind:

http://www.don-jo.com/catalog/pdfs/w...und_plates.pdf

Here are some other adapters that may or may not help:

http://www.don-jo.com/catalog/pdfs/f...tabs_signs.pdf

Old 12-27-07, 05:50 PM
WGW
The link provided by schiejr is exactly what I was referring to as a sleeve. That would be the fastest and easiest way to repair your cutout.
Filling the hole with a plug and putty is likely to have disappointing results unless you are very good at it.

Last edited by WGW; 12-27-07 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Spelling correction