Kwickset deadbolt / entry package keys opposite up - up and upside down ?

Old 12-29-07, 04:18 AM
Kwickset deadbolt / entry package keys opposite up - up and upside down ?

I recently purchased a Kwikset 2 pack ( 2 entry locks , 2 deadbolts at Lowes ) for replacements of some older similar looking Kwikset locks . After installing everything, I realized that the key for the deadbolt was the traditional cut side but the key for the entry lock were in cut side down . Did I buy an odd set or is this the "new" way they are sold . Will Lowes reverse this for me for free ? - Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-07, 04:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is possible the deadbolt glide is installed upside down. Pull the lock off and pull out the glide, noting the "up" marking on the side. Turning it over will reverse the blade direction of the key.

Old 12-29-07, 06:48 AM
Group Moderator
Some of the cheaper Kwikset knobs are one-directional, and you need to be a locksmith to take them apart and turn the tumbler upside down so that both deadbolt and knob are turned the same way.

The more recent Kwikset knobs that I've dealt with come with a special "tumbler key" that will allow you to remove the tumbler, turn it 180 degrees, then reinsert it in the proper position. That 3rd key is usually on the ring with the others. If it wasn't included then you probably have the cheaper one that you need the locksmith for.

If you want to go that route, just take the knob and key to a locksmith and they'll probably do it for you right there while you wait.

Old 12-29-07, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
I think Xsleeper is right on this. I prefer Schlage locks myself and am very particular about which direction the key faces, but the house came with Kwiksets and it wasn't worth the hassle to change the orientation.

Old 01-10-08, 09:25 AM
Kwikset Titans usually use the cylinder removal tool. That way, the customer can chance the orientation on the cylinder themselves. The cheaper ones such as tylo don't. There is a kwikset tool that pushes the spring steel retainers on each side to allow the cylinder to be removed. It sort of looks like a V. As for the deadbolt. It sounds like you have it in upside down. Make sure you have the face of the deadbolt in your hands so you can read the name Kwikset. Then take the tailpiece on the back and rotate it all the way one way. For example.. with the door open make sure the bolt isn't thrown. Turn the tailpiece all the way torward the hinge side or the direction of the inside of the hole. the oppositethe bolt throws. Then slide the tailpiece in the slot of the bolt. Hold it there and then try you key and make sure it works right before installing the inside thumb turn. Hope I didn't confuse you since I already did it to myself

Old 01-10-08, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by rkpatt View Post
I recently purchased a Kwikset 2 pack ( 2 entry locks , 2 deadbolts at Lowes ) for replacements of some older similar looking Kwikset locks . After installing everything, I realized that the key for the deadbolt was the traditional cut side but the key for the entry lock were in cut side down . Did I buy an odd set or is this the "new" way they are sold . Will Lowes reverse this for me for free ? - Thanks

Wreck is correct. Although, it sounds like you may have purchased a knobset for the opposite handing.

It is quite simple to reverse the cylinder, although I recommend taking it to a locksmith for reversal.

You need to remove the spindle first. Where the locking mechanism actually locks the outside knob, on the inside of the rose plate, you need to depress the locking tab and hold it while you withdraw the locking spindle. Then use a large flat blade screwdriver to insert inside the spindle hole to depress 2 black spring steel retainers that will pop out the complete cylinder on the outside. Reverse the cylinder, re install, by pressing it in, replace the spindle and re-install. Done!