Rekey a segal vertical deadbolt to match lockset?

Old 01-02-08, 11:03 PM
Rekey a segal vertical deadbolt to match lockset?

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about rekeying some locks.
Right now, I use four keys to get to my house! Gate key, first door, second door and then apartment door.

Of the two front doors, the first has a lockset (doorknob and deadbolt same key - Defiant is the brand). The inner door has a Segal vertical deadbolt. Can all three locks be rekeyed to a single key?

Can the Segal be keyed to match the lockset or do all three locks have to be rekeyed?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-08, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by lessbluez View Post
Hi everyone. I've been thinking about rekeying some locks.
Right now, I use four keys to get to my house! Gate key, first door, second door and then apartment door.

Of the two front doors, the first has a lockset (doorknob and deadbolt same key - Defiant is the brand). The inner door has a Segal vertical deadbolt. Can all three locks be rekeyed to a single key?

Can the Segal be keyed to match the lockset or do all three locks have to be rekeyed?

The only way all locks can be keyed alike is if one key will slide into all three keyways.

Solution: Replace Segal with Kwikset locks (I cant believe I said that) and you can have the Defiant (which is Kwikset) key made to fit the new lock.

Old 01-06-08, 01:43 AM
Hmm, so the Segal would have to go?

Can I replace the segal with a medeco vertical deadbolt on the inner door and replace the Defiant cylinders with medeco ones?

Don't want to lose the security of the segal vertical deadbolt but can't afford to replace all of them with medeco's.

Old 01-06-08, 05:15 PM

Can I replace the segal with a medeco vertical deadbolt on the inner door and replace the Defiant cylinders with medeco ones?

Don't want to lose the security of the segal vertical deadbolt but can't afford to replace all of them with medeco's.
It is nothing personal. But my experience in the physical and electronic security industry over the last 25 years has taught me a few things.

Medeco is an overpriced product that has cornered the majority of the US market with "reasonably secure" products. I like Medeco however in recent times their products have been proven to be of poor quality. The upcoming changes to UL437 listings and the expected changes to ANSI will likely remove many products that were previously deemed "good quality".

Medeco products have been proven to be bumped and picked and bypassed easily and quickly with instructional videos appearing all over the internet.

I cannot recommend their products as a consequence, especially when there are far better quality, more competitively priced products available.

Many others will have differing opinions and I support their right to an opinion, but the recent evidence with video proof, tells me to keep not recommending Medeco.

Sorry.

Old 01-06-08, 09:29 PM

You just have to replace the Segal's CYLINDER, not the whole lockset.

Old 01-06-08, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by GlobalLocky View Post
It is nothing personal. But my experience in the physical and electronic security industry over the last 25 years has taught me a few things.

Medeco is an overpriced product that has cornered the majority of the US market with "reasonably secure" products. I like Medeco however in recent times their products have been proven to be of poor quality. The upcoming changes to UL437 listings and the expected changes to ANSI will likely remove many products that were previously deemed "good quality".

Medeco products have been proven to be bumped and picked and bypassed easily and quickly with instructional videos appearing all over the internet.

I cannot recommend their products as a consequence, especially when there are far better quality, more competitively priced products available.

Many others will have differing opinions and I support their right to an opinion, but the recent evidence with video proof, tells me to keep not recommending Medeco.

Sorry.
I have the Sargent KESO rim cylinders on my home's exterior doors, with Yale vertical bolt rimlocks.
I've never believed that a mortise deadbolt is better than a surface mount rimset either. Only because of the amount of "meat" taken out of the door for a mortise set. And the same for the strike too.

Old 01-07-08, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
You just have to replace the Segal's CYLINDER, not the whole lockset.
Ah, ok. So if I went about replacing all the cylinders (segal and the defiant lockset), what would you recommend?

The Sargent ones you mentioned?

Old 01-08-08, 02:42 AM
defiant cylinders are unique to kwikset. you will need to replace the whole lock. Sargent make deadbolts. if your rimlock is single cylinder you can use a Sargent rim cylinder. If it is double cylinder you wont find a Sargent cylinder to fit the inside cylinder