Possible to rekey deadbolt if key was lost?

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-08, 03:05 PM
Possible to rekey deadbolt if key was lost?

H, I recently installed three new deadbolts in my house and I'm going to have a locksmith out next week to rekey them. Problem is, I lost the two keys that came with one of the deadbolts! Is the locksmith still going to be able to rekey it? These are Schlage deadbolts, purchased at Lowes.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-08, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
rekey

Hey Jumpy,
Did you get 3 same key deadbolts? Just gotta ask, cause when you buy them, if you match the codes on the package, they'll already be the same key. Also, not to cut into the locksmiths money...you could take them off, take them back to Lowes, they'll rekey for prob $5 per cylinder...thats $5 per cylinder, not deadbolt. If they are thumbturn interior, then you only have 1 cylinder. If they are key both sides, then thats 2 cylinders per deadbolt.

And to answer your question, no, if you are rekeying, you don't need the original key.

Old 01-05-08, 03:54 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice, vic!

Unfortunately, I didn't think to buy the same code deadbolts. I just checked and I ended up with three different locks.

That's a great idea to go to Lowes, though. I called them and they do charge $5 per cylinder, compared to $15 per for the locksmith. Saved me a bunch of money!

Old 01-05-08, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
rekey

glad to help

do you need my address to send my half of the money you saved?

lol

Old 01-05-08, 05:09 PM
The check's in the mail.

Old 01-06-08, 05:23 PM
As a locksmith, I am disappointed by the tone of this conversation. Customers go to the big box stores to already purchase products cheaper than most locksmith can purchase them from the wholesaler. Then, for the purpose of saving $15....refuse to give locksmiths a go.

Is it any wonder why tradespeople need to charge rediculous high prices for emergency work, when customers wont give them the opportunities they deserve.

Lowes are not qualified locksmiths. In some states, only licensed locksmiths are allowed to rekey locks. I realize this is a DIY forum, but taking money out of the locksmiths mouth and giving it to Lowes is akin to theft in my opinion.

You might save money today....but tomorrow, when your lock fails, your cost to call the locksmith will be much higher. Remember you get what you pay for. Dont expect rolls royce quality for kwikset prices.

Old 01-06-08, 07:59 PM
Every trade needs to make money. But as a customer I will take my business to the person or establishment that gives ME the best deal.
When you buy a new truck for your business do you walk into the dealership and pay the sticker price on the window or do you shop around and negotiate the best price?

Old 01-07-08, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
diy vs pro

Well, I've been stealing for a long time. Never had anyone at my house to repair anything (except A/C, and i wound up fixing that myself too) in 19 yrs. So all the carpenters, roofers, electricians, garage door installers, flooring contractors, shed and deck builders, painters, trim carpenters, equipment operators and locksmiths who I've put out of business....sorry.

Old 01-07-08, 07:13 AM
Well, I did pay the locksmith $60 to change four locks when I first moved in two months ago. I bought these deadbolts at Lowes and they offer the service of rekeying them, so I took advantage of that. I don't see what the big deal is.

Anyway, the locksmith lives down the street from me, in a bigger house. I don't feel too bad for him.

Old 01-08-08, 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Every trade needs to make money. But as a customer I will take my business to the person or establishment that gives ME the best deal.
When you buy a new truck for your business do you walk into the dealership and pay the sticker price on the window or do you shop around and negotiate the best price?

The best deal is not necessarily the cheapest one, wouldnt you agree?

By taking the locks to the hardware store, you might save some money initially, but when you have a problem and the hardware store cant fix it because they dont know how, will you pay the higher locksmith prices?

Buying from one car dealer rather than another boils down to the relationship built between seller and buyer. Similarly, relationships can exist between customers and tradespeople too. Loyalty sometimes translates into discounted products or services.

It's all a matter of choice. I choose to buy locally rather than from the foreign made product peddlar.

If more people did the same, there might be a stronger local economy.

Old 01-08-08, 04:45 AM
This is not a debate forum and the original posters question has been answered. Thread is now closed.

Closed Thread