Bulge in door around deadlock latch

Old 01-17-08, 07:55 AM
Bulge in door around deadlock latch

We just moved into our house 2 weeks ago and are looking to replace the locks. I was hoping this was something I could do myself, since Iíve replaced a good number of locks in the past. However, when I looked at our front (steel) door, I noticed that there is a bulge in the door where the deadlock is, almost like the previous owner had forced in a deadbolt that was too big for the door.

Should I have the door checked out by someone (a locksmith?) to make sure it hasnít lost its structural integrity before attempting to replace the deadbolt?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-08, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by jpell123 View Post
We just moved into our house 2 weeks ago and are looking to replace the locks. I was hoping this was something I could do myself, since Iíve replaced a good number of locks in the past. However, when I looked at our front (steel) door, I noticed that there is a bulge in the door where the deadlock is, almost like the previous owner had forced in a deadbolt that was too big for the door.

Should I have the door checked out by someone (a locksmith?) to make sure it hasnít lost its structural integrity before attempting to replace the deadbolt?

Welcome to the forum. Yes. Have a professional check the door. It might work out cheaper in the long run.

Old 01-17-08, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
bulge

Hey jpell,

Have you taken the old deadbolt out yet? You could be right, someone may have drilled too small a hole or what you suggested. Is it just the steel bulged out like a donut around the lock? Is it just on one side?

Take the old one out and just check whats actually bulged.
You could probably easily flatten the steel skin, if thats the only problem, but if there is damage to the locking block inside the skin, then there may be more extensive repair, or even replacement.

When the latch and deadbolt are out, put a straightedge or a level along the length of the door skin on both sides. Do it across the width as well. You're looking for an unlevel/un-flat condition that would indicate someone maybe put their shoulder to it or something similar.

If the door isn't bowed more than 1/4" across the 80" height, then you should be able to just flatten the skin around the dead bolt, and install your new one. Assuming the new one will fit, if not, you may need to open the hole up a bit with a file/rasp.

Old 01-17-08, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I haven't taken the deadbolt out yet to have a closer look, but I'll try that tonight. The bulge is actually at the latch/edge of the door where the bolt comes out (not sure of the technical term).

The area around the locking mechanism where the key goes in is not bulged, so maybe the the latch bolt itself is too wide for the door? I'll try taking a picture and posting it tonight to better show the problem.

Old 01-17-08, 07:38 PM
I think I figured it out. From the look of it, I think, at some point, someone must have tried to kick the door in. The location of the bulge indicates that the deadbolt was pushing against the outside of the door, which would only happen if a lot of pressure was being applied from the outside.

Also, I noticed that the door itself looks like it's bent inwards about 1/8" near the deadbolt and door handle. I'm guessing I probably need a new door. I was able to bend the area around the latch to eliminate the bulge, but the fact that the whole door is bent to some degree is leading to quite a draft around the latch.

Can anyone recommend a good exterior door that won't break the bank?

Old 01-18-08, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Doors

All, steel doors are pretty much made the same, if they are fire rated. They all use the same gauge steel, and the same amount of solid wood in the locking block area. Masonite, Jeld-wen, Peachtree, list goes on and on. If you are going to replace the whole thing, frame and all, anything will work.

Look at the embossing on the panels, and the style of glass (if any), those are aesthetic only, but you'll pay extra for more and fancier glass.

If you are thinking of just replacing the door, and keeping the frame, you'll need to try to get the same brand. By measuring carefully (esp hinge locations) you might be able to use a diff manufacturers door in your frame, but that can lead to more trouble than its worth.

Old 01-18-08, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
bulge

Hey jpell,

Was just doing a little pondering while I was cleaning up from cabinet installs yesterday.

Before ya explore the new door (unless you really want one), were you planning to still post pic's?

You could have a broken lock-block (the wood area under the door skin) or possibly the latch was drilled out from the edge incorrectly (not giving any support).

If you were able to bend the whole door, then sounds like you have a lock block/ wood sub-frame issue. If you were just talking about the outer skin, them maybe not.

Normally if you have a kick attempt, yer gonna see some indication on the face of the door as well, and poss some damage to the frame.

You might be able to put a re-inforcing plate on the door, replace the weatherstrip, and be good (or at least better) for quite a while. Guess it depends on yer status in the house and how much time/money you want to invest.

Although installing a door isn't rocket science, it is sort of an art to do it well. If you've never done one, I'd suggest getting a knowledgeable friend, or a carpenter who wouldn't mind you learning as you go. Of course he'll have to charge you for the lesson...lol.

Best of luck