Need help removing lever door handle

Old 01-18-08, 05:56 PM
Need help removing lever door handle

Hey there!

I'm looking for some advice on how to go about removing a lever door handle from my bedroom door. I have recently purchased a lockable door handle, but am unable to remove the previous one. It has no visible screws (apart from the two that were on the side of the door, which I have removed, and which did absolutely nothing), and there are no visible holes. It is a fairly old-fashioned style lever door handle - gold plate with a white china handle, and made by Gainsborough Hardware Ind. Several other door handles of the same type have fallen off around the house, and have been replaced, but I can't seem to find a way to remove the handle at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-mOnkii

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-08, 12:07 PM
Welcome to the forum.

The brass rosette unscrews after removing the lever, which is either held on by a grub screw in the throat or a disc to depress. (usually a grub screw).

After removing the rosette it is straightforward from there.

Common to find Gainsborough handles of this type in Australia or New Zealand.

Note. The spindle for Gainsborough is different to every other brand on the market and will not work with anything else.

(Edit: You didnt mention whether or not the rosette was round so the above advice is based on a round rosette)

Old 01-19-08, 03:52 PM
Thank you for the welcome.

Apart from being extremely illiterate in the terminology of door handles, I've come to a dead end, so to speak, at the very start of your suggestions. I can't budge the rosette, I think you called it, hence I can't get to anything beneath it to unscrew the door handle. Any ideas on how I can get this to unscrew?

I found what I think is the same door handle on the Gainsborough website. Here's the link - http://i3.************/87lvfhc.jpg - it's the first one on the left.

Thanks, GlobalLocky
-m0nkii

Old 01-20-08, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by m0nkii View Post
Thank you for the welcome.

Apart from being extremely illiterate in the terminology of door handles, I've come to a dead end, so to speak, at the very start of your suggestions. I can't budge the rosette, I think you called it, hence I can't get to anything beneath it to unscrew the door handle. Any ideas on how I can get this to unscrew?

I found what I think is the same door handle on the Gainsborough website. Here's the link - http://i3.************/87lvfhc.jpg - it's the first one on the left.

Thanks, GlobalLocky
-m0nkii
The Leverline series Porcelain leversets use the same installation instructions as the Metaline series...

http://www.gainsboroughhardware.com....?id=3_20_43_57

There is nothing not straightforward about them....the above link should help.

No retainer disc or grub screw. Perhaps the lever plate was put on the door before the paint dried and it is "glued" to the face?

Old 01-20-08, 11:42 PM
If this is the case, is there any way at all to remove the door handle, or am I stuck with it on there until it literally falls off?

Old 01-21-08, 05:08 AM
I am loathed to recommend the use of a heat gun (for paint stripping) for fear of damaging the face plate, especially if you desire to keep it.

gently tapping the plate with a hammer (after removing the screws) could chip the paint or remove a greater portion of the paint than intended. Door damage is certainly a possibility too.

You could use paint thinners to dissolve the paint around the plate, I suppose.

Let us know your progress, thanks.

Old 01-21-08, 10:57 AM
I thought most of "kind" of levers were held on my allen set screws like Baldwin. You sure theres not a set screw there?

Old 01-22-08, 08:03 AM
Some brands of levers, like Gainsborough and others, are held to the door by the connecting screws only. The handle is held to the inside plate by a circlip or a pressed aluminum squeeze on ring on the inside of the plate.

Sometimes, using a wood chisel (with bevelled side facing the door) can be used to carefully slide under the rim of the plate and with slight pressure, persuade the plate to separate from the door.