Need parts for old mortise lock

Old 02-20-08, 09:24 AM
Need parts for old mortise lock

The door lock is about 50 years old, and I believe it is mfg. by Sargent. This is the old style lock which opens with a skelton key. I have taken it apart and have seen that a small coil spring (about the diameter of a spring in a ball-point pen, but of heavier wire), is broken. Also, there is a small flat leaf spring that is broken. Does anyone know where I can buy parts for this lock? I have tried an internet search, but all that I can find are new complete locksets, and not parts. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, DnnRe8.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-08, 04:04 PM
No where that I know of. Much newer locks than the one you have are obsolete regarding replacement parts.

Possible options include some of the antique hardware dealers.

Perhaps you could find something close in a spring assortment at the local hardware store.

Some locksmiths, especially the old timers,may have spring stock to make the flat one for you. They may have something close in the parts bin that would work for the other.

Old 02-21-08, 09:39 PM
Many of the younger locksmiths will not know anything about old-fashioned bit type mortice locks. There are some shops that do still maintain some inventory of parts.

Perhaps if you let us know which town and state you are located a recommendation can be PM'ed to you.

I have many parts in my workshop that I use to help people in my area, so it is likely that there will be someone not too far away. And if your chosen professional needs some help you can always contact me through this service and I'll gladly communicate with them.