Looking for 1/2" dia pin&tumbler lock

Old 02-26-08, 01:50 PM
Looking for 1/2" dia pin&tumbler lock

I am looking for a small pin & tumbler lock that would fit in a 1/2" diameter hole, with an interchangeable cam or spring latch. This would be to replace warded mailbox locks on old Auth vertical apartment mailboxes. I have 60 of these to fix.

The warded keys and locks get broken a lot when people don't insert them all the way or they do not understand the "spring" function.

All ideas welcome, but the main idea is to get a brass key that I can duplicate as needed on a key machine, and a lock that is less trouble-prone. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-08, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Not sure if it's exactly what you need, but the files cabinets in the office here have locks about that size.

Old 02-26-08, 04:29 PM
Lock

I Googled "mailbox lock" and the site below came up; hope this helps:

http://www.castlewholesalers.com/FRA...lbox-Lock.html

Old 02-26-08, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the leads. Before posting here I checked with the two local locksmiths I use regularly for other stuff. Both had a large selection of mailbox locks that would not fit. 1/2" is a pretty small hole for a pin tumbler, I guess.

They also had aftermarket warded locks of the same type that I currently have, but that's not what I want. The mfgr. also still provides that same type of lock.

What I was hoping for was somebody out there who knew of a tiny cabinet lock specifically for 1/2" holes.

Old 02-26-08, 06:27 PM
Nothing I know of that small off hand.

How about making a bigger hole to fit the standard size locks?

If the mailbox doors are a single sheet of metal, a single or double-d hole punch(depending on the new lock) would work good if other clearances are ok.

Old 02-27-08, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by schiejr View Post
Nothing I know of that small off hand.

How about making a bigger hole to fit the standard size locks?

If the mailbox doors are a single sheet of metal, a single or double-d hole punch(depending on the new lock) would work good if other clearances are ok.
OK, sounds reasonable. Given that I have 60 of these to fix, I wonder why neither of the locksmiths suggested this yesterday. I asked both if they had "any other ideas" and I carried a mailbox door into their shops. Maybe at that point it's cheaper to install new mailboxes, but I'll do some more local checking. Thanks.

Old 02-27-08, 12:44 PM
There are some ACE type locks that are a smaller diameter than standard and would likely fit that scenario,

Ace type locks are very secure, are pin tumbler, come in camlock fashions, and are surprisingly reasonably priced.

I sell other brands that would also be suitable, but we cannot advertise here.

PM me for more details.

It doesnt surprise me that some locksmiths "do not know".....I have been in the trade over 25 years and in the last 2 years have met many locksmiths that would never get employed in many of the companies that I have worked in. The product knowledge and experience is simply not there.

This is one of the fundamental reasons, many locksmith companies prefer to employ apprentices and train somebody with the knowledge and expertise of masters.

Old 03-01-08, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by GlobalLocky View Post
PM me for more details.
Did you get my PM? I still need help.

I looked at a couple of Ace catalogs from the website but didn't see anything this small. Most required at least 3/4" holes.

Old 03-03-08, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by ArgMeMatey View Post
Did you get my PM? I still need help.

I looked at a couple of Ace catalogs from the website but didn't see anything this small. Most required at least 3/4" holes.

No PM ....sorry.

Old 03-03-08, 09:07 PM
Old 03-03-08, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the links. I sent you another PM. I like the C1091, which has a flat key, but wondered if it would fit properly in a 17/32 round hole. I will check on the cam requirements. Currently the lock has a small spring bolt, not a cam, so I need to figure out if the slot could be used with a cam.

Old 03-05-08, 08:01 PM
Okay. I received the PM.

A thought occurred to me. Have you heard of The Lockwood 600 series projection locks? They use flat steel keys and the diameter of the key cylinder is about 1/2". They come in 1/4, 7/8 and 1&1/4 versions but they are a bolt only - no latch.

You could do a Google search for Lockwood 600/S78 locks and see what I mean. I dont know if they are available stateside, but I could probably get them. Lowe and Fletcher also make them.

These locks come masterkeyed and keyed as you want. They are lever locks. They look similar to the locks you find on a safety deposit box but narrower diameter. They are also inexpensive.

Old 03-06-08, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by GlobalLocky View Post
Okay. I received the PM.

A thought occurred to me. Have you heard of The Lockwood 600 series projection locks? They use flat steel keys and the diameter of the key cylinder is about 1/2". They come in 1/4, 7/8 and 1&1/4 versions but they are a bolt only - no latch.

You could do a Google search for Lockwood 600/S78 locks and see what I mean. I dont know if they are available stateside, but I could probably get them. Lowe and Fletcher also make them.

These locks come masterkeyed and keyed as you want. They are lever locks. They look similar to the locks you find on a safety deposit box but narrower diameter. They are also inexpensive.
Thanks. If I understand the specs properly, the Lockwood wouldn't do me much better than what I have now. I would have to drill new holes to bolt it into place and since the aluminum mailbox door is only 1/8" thick or so, the 22mm barrel would stick way out the front of the box.

The Ace-type you mentioned is nice because it's got 150 combinations available, whereas the C1091 has only got 20. Not that either is going to make a thief into an honest person, but 150 would be better.

But the C1091 would be easier to make new keys for, which is a pretty regular need. If I did the tubular Ace, I would probably buy 10 or 15 excess and swap out locks when keys were lost or unreturned. But with the C1091 I could just have new keys made.

Old 03-07-08, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by ArgMeMatey View Post
Thanks. If I understand the specs properly, the Lockwood wouldn't do me much better than what I have now. I would have to drill new holes to bolt it into place and since the aluminum mailbox door is only 1/8" thick or so, the 22mm barrel would stick way out the front of the box.

The Ace-type you mentioned is nice because it's got 150 combinations available, whereas the C1091 has only got 20. Not that either is going to make a thief into an honest person, but 150 would be better.

But the C1091 would be easier to make new keys for, which is a pretty regular need. If I did the tubular Ace, I would probably buy 10 or 15 excess and swap out locks when keys were lost or unreturned. But with the C1091 I could just have new keys made.
Actually the Lockwood 600/S14 would only protrude about 1/8" maximum as it is only 1/4" long and you have 1/8" thick door.

But the bolt only feature would be the primary concern I imagine. Key withdraws in both locked and unlocked position, so leaving box unlocked would be a concern too. I would think it better to have the key retained in the unlocked position.