Schlage keyed entrance lock - odd behavior

Old 06-04-08, 08:52 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Schlage keyed entrance lock - odd behavior

I just changed the keyed entrance lock between my garage and my house to a Schlage (F-series, I believe) lock. If the interior lock button is in the open position, everything works fine - door can be opened from both sides. When the button is turned to the locked position, things are not as I would expect:

(1) The outside knob cannot be turned (this is the expected behavior).
(2) The inside knob can still be turned and will open the door, but the door remains locked from the outside. If I go through the door and it closes behind me, I am locked out!

I've never seen a lock behave this way. If the button is in the locked position, I expect one of two things:

(A) The inside knob will not turn until the button is switched to the unlock position or
(B) The inside knob will turn and open the door, but the button will also move to the unlocked position.

Do I have a defective or incorrectly installed lock, or is Schlage deliberately encouraging accidental lockouts?

Old 06-04-08, 10:51 PM
It's not a defect. Normally, a cylindrical or tubular entry lockset has the Function code F82. Your (B). The one you presently have is Function code F109.

A typical use for F109 is in a communicating passageway, (sometimes gas station rest rooms) where egress is unrestricted but entry is controlled. Sometimes it's used in residential settings. If it bothers you, change it.

Old 06-05-08, 12:14 AM
Push the button without turning it......then it will lock the door when you exit....and when you unlock the door...it will remain unlocked until you push the button again.

Old 06-05-08, 05:01 AM
M
Originally Posted by GlobalLocky View Post
Push the button without turning it......then it will lock the door when you exit....and when you unlock the door...it will remain unlocked until you push the button again.
The button only turns - 90 degrees clockwise to lock, counterclockwise to unlock. It does not press in or pop out.

Old 06-05-08, 05:06 AM
M
Originally Posted by 2000 View Post
It's not a defect. Normally, a cylindrical or tubular entry lockset has the Function code F82. Your (B). The one you presently have is Function code F109.

A typical use for F109 is in a communicating passageway, (sometimes gas station rest rooms) where egress is unrestricted but entry is controlled. Sometimes it's used in residential settings. If it bothers you, change it.
Strange that such a lock is sold at Home Depot for residential use...

Old 06-05-08, 05:17 AM
M
Just found the Schlage F-series datasheet online. Apparently this lock has Function code F81:

"Unlocked by key from outside when outer knob/lever is locked by turnbutton in inside knob/lever. Inside knob/lever always unlocked."

So it sounds like the lock is working properly. I just don't think it is a very user-friendly (or even safe) design...

Old 06-05-08, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by mikewu99 View Post
Just found the Schlage F-series datasheet online. Apparently this lock has Function code F81:

"Unlocked by key from outside when outer knob/lever is locked by turnbutton in inside knob/lever. Inside knob/lever always unlocked."

So it sounds like the lock is working properly. I just don't think it is a very user-friendly (or even safe) design...

It's likely a cheap version of a classroom escape set. Designed to let inmates(students) escape in an emergency, but not allow unauthorised entry during class.

Everything has a purpose

Old 09-01-08, 11:39 AM
L
Schlage F51

Most residential key-in-knob/lever locks must be unlocked before exiting. Schlage F51 is an exception. I advise customers who have this lock to hide a key, give a key to a neighbour or just be very careful that they are not locked out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: