high end door bevel?

Old 07-07-08, 03:29 PM
high end door bevel?

I am starting a deadbolt insallation project.The instuctions say to fold and apply templet to high end of door bevel.I did not have the slightest idea what a door bevel is much less the high high end of it. My door is steel clad 1 3/4" thick.The end of the door{end where doorknob is at} is not flat.It is 1 1/4" with 1/4" on each side that is 1/8" lower,total of 1 3/4".I'm thinking that the edge of the high part of the door is the bevel,and that would not be on the edge of the door ,but 1/4" back.Bottom line is that I am confessed as to the placement of the templet because the instructions assume that I knew what a beveled door is.I'm not even sure if there are not different kinds of bevels like what would be on a steel clad door.I looked up beveled doors on google ,but do not see how a door bevel would have anything to do with the distance from the edge of the door to the hole center.If you plane the edge of a door,it's still the same distance from the edge.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-08, 03:45 PM
Bevel

the pitch on the leading edge of a door which allows clearance for closing

Old 07-07-08, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Rebel...you prob don't have much of a bevel, if any, on a steel door. Measure the distance between the lines on your template, bet they come in right at 1 3/4. Center the template on the door.

If yer putting a deadbolt on a steel door thats not already drilled for it, be prepared for nothing but foam in the core. Don't overtighten the deadbolt or you could pull the skins away from the wood sub-frame. Drill until the center bit breaks through the skin on the other side, then move to that side to finish. After you drill, your hole saw will probably be no good for anything else unless its a bi-metal.

Old 07-07-08, 05:40 PM
You are right on the measurements,and I got the holes drilled right on the money.I just wanted to clear up this bevel question before I went drilling holes. My problem now is screwing this thing togeather.Getting the screws and action pins lined up and secured is not an easy task. I'm just not able to get the screws lined up.I lined up the exterior side and duct taped it ,but I am still having a heck of a time geting this thing togeather. Once you line everything up and push it against the wall,you can't see anything,and one time the pin came out on me.I been messing with this for a long time.

Old 07-07-08, 05:53 PM
get the screws lined up

I have also found that if you tighten all the screws all the way down the lock doesn't work because it binds, so

Tighten,
try it,
realign,
tighten,
try it
. . .

Old 07-07-08, 06:20 PM
thanks,I finally got it. Works like a charm