how to remove a Schlage deadbolt

Old 07-15-08, 05:34 PM

Hello,

I have a Schlage double cylinder deadbolt (installed in 1994) that I need to remove and replace with a Schlage Primus deadbolt. My problem is that I am unable to remove what appear to be 2 Allen head screws from the inside of the lock. I've tried an Allen wrench to no avail - someone at the store where I purchased the new lock indicated that these could be plugs. I can't tell if they are plugs - they appear to be made of metal. I'm fearful of stripping the threads if I'm not careful.

Another suggestion that was made was to drill thru the screws and remove the lock that way.

Any suggestions on how I can safely remove the lock, without fear of damaging the existing lock such that I need to call out a locksmith?

If it would help, I can attempt to upload a photo of the lock.

Thank you in advance.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-08, 08:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Schlage Double Cylinder Deadbolt Removal

Hello Bob -

I'm an employee of Schlage. The double cylinder deadbolt has two screw plug covers on the interior portion of the lock for aesthetic purposes. These are small metal plugs that are covering the Phillips head screws that are holding the deadbolt together.

My removal advice is to carefully pry them out with the edge of a small flat blade (a utility knife works well) or pair of pliers. If this does not work, try applying force from a nail onto one side of the plug cover to force the other end to pop out where it can be removed with the blade or a flat head screwdriver.

Once these are removed you only have to take out the two screws on the deadbolt and the faceplate and you should be ready for your new lock.

Hope this helps. I'll check back on the post. Let me know if it works or you are having any more trouble.

- Mike

Last edited by Schlage Rep; 07-16-08 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-16-08, 01:56 PM

Hello Mike,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Unfortunately, the plugs must be lodged in the holes pretty tightly. I've tried pliers, jewelers screwdriver, nail and none have done anything except damage the tools. The plugs will not budge.

Any other suggestions? As a last resort, what about using a drill bit to remove the plugs (and hopefully not damage the phillips head screws in the process).

Thanks again,

Bob

Old 07-17-08, 01:13 PM
Hello Bob,

I'm sorry you are still having trouble with the removal of your lock set. Is there any way you could post a picture of the interior of this deadbolt? I will review the picture and advise you from there to make sure I can assist you with your deadbolt removal.

Thank you Bob.

Mike

Last edited by Shadeladie; 07-17-08 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Email not allowed and removed. Soliciting not allowed.
Old 07-17-08, 05:06 PM
WGW
If you don't want to reuse the old lock somewhere else, save yourself the aggravation and just drill through those screws and be done with it.

Regards

Old 07-18-08, 04:29 PM
I do not plan on reusing the old lock. Are you suggesting to drill thru just the metal plugs, then unscrew the phillips head screws or drill thru both the plugs and the phillips head screws?

Old 07-18-08, 07:49 PM
WGW
Drill through both. Once you are through the head of the phillips screw, you should be able to pull the cylinders out of the door no problem.

Old 07-21-08, 07:45 AM
A wood chisel works easily on these plugs, because the cutting edge is sloped.

They are only thin metal so drilling thru them is not difficult at all either,

Old 03-04-12, 07:14 AM
Schlage Deadbolt -- It Worked!

It did. I had to remove exactly the same type deadbolt. Found this thread in my first search on Google. Instructions worked perfectly. Incidentally, I used an old awl to pry out the caps -- came out very easily.

Thanks so much, even though you didn't know you were helping me!
Fr. Doug

Old 03-11-12, 12:42 AM
Where are the "plugs" on the Schlage deadbolt ? don't see them.

I have a Schlage double deadbolt and cannot find these "plugs" to remove them and then the lock. The bezels have no marks and just spin if turned.Where exactly, specifically are these supposed to be? I do not see them on the face of the lock where the key goes in on the inside or outside. Are they where the bolt goes in to the door frame or somewhere else ? I removed the striker plate and see no way to get the bolt out either. Where would I drill to get the lock off ?

Last edited by portun81; 03-11-12 at 12:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-11-12, 02:06 PM
Some models of the Schlage Double cylinder deadbolt do not have the plugs covering the screws. In this case, the front face cap will easily pry off, revealing the screws. if you have a Baldwin double cylinder deadbolt (uses Schlage keys), you have to unscrew the trim plate first to take the faceplate off, revealing the screws.