Removing higher-quality lockset

Old 09-10-08, 05:44 AM
Removing higher-quality lockset

I bought an existing metal storage building, but the former owner didn't leave a key to the lockset, which is somewhat higher in quality than your standard homeowner-grade model. I would like to replace the lockset, but ran into a problem - I don't know how to remove the interior knob. The inner shank is threaded, and I was able to unscrew the interior retaining ring quite a way, but it stopped when it hit the door knob.

I believe the lockset is made by Yale (at least, that's what the latch plate says). The interior knob has two small oblong holes 180 apart on the back of the knob (toward the door) - I'm guessing that these may be how the release mechanism is accessed. If so, it requires a special tool that I don't have.

If nothing else, I can probably remove the door and take it to a locksmith, but I'd sure like to avoid doing that. Any ideas? Thanks. -- CB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-08, 12:32 AM
If there is a keyhole on the inside, the cylinder will require to be picked to remove the knob. Some upper end Yale models, require the outer handle to be removed, in order to remove the whole lock. For this you will need the key or have the lock picked or drilled (or impressioned). The cheaper alternative would be to have a locksmith attend on site and simply impression a key for you.

Old 09-28-08, 08:44 PM
GlobalLocky -

Thanks for your informative reply. I was hoping to avoid having to have a locksmith show up on site, but it sounds as if it's going to be necessary to have one show up. I don't trust the previous owner as far as I can throw a chimney by the smoke (since he still has the keys), so having the lockset replaced or rekeyed is definitely the way to go. There's not a locksmith nearby, so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get one to come by. Thanks again. - CB