need to get into vintage safe

Old 11-07-08, 07:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need to get into vintage safe

My wife and I have inherited her uncles old house that contains a old Victor safe vintage 1930-1940s from a old drug store.
Her uncle stored a lot of morgan silver dollars in it and other stuff that we do not know about.This thing weighs in at over a thousand pounds.
It has a combination lock and a big handle we have the combo but we can not get the sequence right as you have to turn past the first number 5 times and then go the other way past the number 4 times etc.
Will I have to call a special type locksmith to get into it? I do not want to destroy the safe but I need to get in there. what might be the cost of having a safe cracker come out and open it?

Last edited by michael van; 11-07-08 at 07:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-08, 10:14 AM
A 4 number combination usually indicates 5 wheels in the lock. Hence why you need to dial it 5,4,3,2...etc.

Always start with the dial lined up to ZERO.

Turn the dial 5 times clockwise lining up the first number on the index (mark).......turn the dial counter-clockwise to the second number 4 times....etc...etc...

when you have dialled the fourth number counter-clockwise twice, stopping on the fourth number...spin the dial clockwise until it stops turning.....the lock will be open.

Old 11-07-08, 11:38 AM
M
will try again

Thanks for the quick response we will give it another try this weekend and let you know.I have printed the directions.

Old 11-07-08, 01:17 PM
J
When you stop on each #--give the door a whack w/ the side of your hand..............

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: