Rotten wood behind strike plate

Old 11-12-08, 04:01 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rotten wood behind strike plate

The wood behind my strike plate is totally rotted out, also the wood behind the dead bolt is starting to go as well. Are we going to be better off cutting out and replacing the rotten wood on the side of the door jamb or should I just get a new door&frame?

Old 11-12-08, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If it's really rotted, I don't think you'd be happy with any sort of repair. It wouldn't be very secure either. Have you found the reason for the moisture that caused the rot? And is it the door frame or the stud behind it?

I'd vote for a new door.

Old 11-12-08, 05:13 PM
S
If the door and frame do turn out to be repairable I'd definately check into the many various plates and kits you can put on doors and door frames to reinforce or help repair them after damage etc.There are a variety of them and you'd have to look at them to see whcih ones would do the job best for you.Even if you can repair the rot damage,both the door and frame will be less secure than originally and will need the help.

Old 11-13-08, 11:52 AM
I agree with spdavid. There are multiple products available designed to fix this problem.

One such product that is available across the country from different vendors is called Strikemaster II.

If you do a search or look up Welcome to No Kick Ins - Total Door Security there is a good explanation of it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: