replacing snapped spring in old mortise set

Old 11-21-08, 08:27 AM
dmn
replacing snapped spring in old mortise set

Hello,
I have an old interior door with an old lockset. It appears the spring that holds the latch out when the knob is not twisted has yielded for the last time (It snapped at its fulcrum).
It's a small steel (?) strip ~2" long x ~3/16" wide x less than 1/32" thick with high yield strength.
Where can I get a replacement for this? It would be lame to have to replace the lockset/door for such a simple piece of metal but I have no Idea where to get it. Halp.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-08, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Probably not something you will be able to just pick-up somewhere. I'd suggest a visit to a good Locksmith shop with the lock. He may have or could make a suitable replacement.

If you happen to know a good Gunsmith, he could also probably make one from stock.

At least it's an interior door.

Old 11-25-08, 06:36 PM
Or look for a tube of spring steel. Some good hardware stores will sell it. Usually there are various sizes you can use to modify a replacement. I do it all the time. It's not hard.

Old 03-17-09, 07:55 PM
dmn
as it turns out I was able to get a replacement spring just going to an architectural salvage store. They let me dig in to some broken locksets and pull out a spring. Didn't even have to pay anything (except I bought a nice faceplate).