Locked myself out of bedroom

Old 11-28-08, 06:50 PM
Locked myself out of bedroom

I have a bedroom that has a lock like you would have on the outside of a house. (A basic one, not a deadbolt.) I've locked myself out of the room and the only key is inside there. It's a copper-colored Kwikset with a handle on the inside, and the outside has a knob with the keyhole. The lock's screws are on the inside, and so are the door hinges.

I've tried the credit-card trick and it doesn't work. What if I take a hacksaw to it? I would cut it off as far back as I could, next to the mounting plate or whatever you call it. I know that I can cut it off behind where the key goes in. Then I assume I could open it with pliers or something. Would that work?

I need to do something by tomorrow because I have my car keys and everything in there. The locksmiths want $120. I think it's too late to call a handyman now, but I could probably bust the door in and get the jamb fixed for less than that.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 05:55 AM
Door Lock

Pry the door stop away from the jamb at the latch and use a sawzall to cut the latch bolt where it goes into the strike plate.
This will destroy the latch, but it can be replaced for a few bucks.

Old 11-29-08, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Pry the door stop away from the jamb at the latch and use a sawzall to cut the latch bolt where it goes into the strike plate.
This will destroy the latch, but it can be replaced for a few bucks.
I don't have a sawzall. Will the hacksaw work?

Old 11-29-08, 11:54 AM
Never mind, I used the hacksaw to cut the doorknob off. It was easy after that.

Old 11-29-08, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Man...I was gonna say that....just seemed wrong somehow...
Glad it worked..

Old 11-29-08, 01:07 PM
Hacksaw = human powered sawzall.

Old 11-29-08, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by davidlock18 View Post
I have a bedroom that has a lock like you would have on the outside of a house. (A basic one, not a deadbolt.) I've locked myself out of the room and the only key is inside there. It's a copper-colored Kwikset with a handle on the inside, and the outside has a knob with the keyhole. The lock's screws are on the inside, and so are the door hinges.

I've tried the credit-card trick and it doesn't work. What if I take a hacksaw to it? I would cut it off as far back as I could, next to the mounting plate or whatever you call it. I know that I can cut it off behind where the key goes in. Then I assume I could open it with pliers or something. Would that work?

I need to do something by tomorrow because I have my car keys and everything in there. The locksmiths want $120. I think it's too late to call a handyman now, but I could probably bust the door in and get the jamb fixed for less than that.
Jamb fixed for less than $120?
What planet are you on?
It's all about knowledge. That's the reason you pay a locksmith to open your door without damage.
At the time of night you called, it is no wonder you got quoted those prices.

True you can buy a new lock from HD or Lowes or less than $20.....but you still have to fit it....that's labor. By doing it yourself....you save some money....but dont be surprised when you need a locksmith that they will charge you more for stuffing it yourself.

Old 12-04-08, 08:11 PM
I think he meant the latchbolt would be cheaper. Or rather, the lock itself. Replacing a Jamb would be terrible work.

Since this is a non-entry door to the house, you can get those inside locks for rooms that just require what looks like a really thick paper clip to open it with. Not total security but its your home... how much do you really need if you have to lock ppl out who are already inside.

Old 12-04-08, 08:33 PM
If there is a keyhole in the bedroom door lock, someone did not install an interior door knob. Most interior door knobs have a tiny hole that can be opened by sticking a paper clip, bobby pin, finishing nail, etc. through a tiny hole to release the lock to open. Comes in handy when a toddler locks themselves in a room.

Usually credit card is successful for opening a basic key lock. It's done all the time in the movies, and I have done it. If not successful, as indicated, you will have to take more drastic measures to remove the door knob so that you can access the locking mechanism. Then, install an interior door knob. These are relatively expensive at the local home center or hardware store.

Old 12-05-08, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
Just a note...there are multiple reasons for a keyed lock on an interior door....think roomates, houses rented to college kids, equipment you don't want anyone to be able to mess with...etc, etc.

Old 12-08-08, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Just a note...there are multiple reasons for a keyed lock on an interior door....think roomates, houses rented to college kids, equipment you don't want anyone to be able to mess with...etc, etc.
Good point. I just figured he might be an average guy with a house and no need to lock things out with a key... just one more thing to lose. I like those paper-clip style. You get the idea that the door is locked and you can improvise in case you lose the key.