whitco security lock - unable to remove

Old 01-16-09, 05:06 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
whitco security lock - unable to remove

i have a security door, and i do not have a key for it, i bought a new locking device with keys, but i cannot remove the tumbler as it seems to be in the locked position.

is it possible to drill it out? or are there other alternatives.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-09, 05:32 PM
R
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you've not already solved your problem, a question or 2:
Is the door locked, or is the bolt locked with the door open?
I think Whitco is a European or Australian design that would use a "profile" cylinder---You have to remove a set screw from the edge of the door, and in some cases, the key has to be turned 1/4 turn to be able to remove the cylinder. Sorry, not much help, without more info.

Old 01-22-09, 07:02 AM
A Whitco Tasman Mark II security door lock uses a loose cam profile cylinder. The cam can be manually pushed to unlock.

You need to use a relatively thin metal tool to slide between the round part of the key cylinder and the front of the mechanism and lift the tool to raise the cam, unlocking the lock.

It is awkward. Sometimes I have had success by removing the handles and flicking the cam from underneath.

Yes it is a Euro style cylinder. But would be considered upside down in Europe.

Yes it can be drilled.

Replacement cylinder are inexpensive. about AU$15

Old 01-22-09, 11:49 PM
P
more information

i can open and close the door, but the actual lock is locked, i dismantled the door and tried to slide the lock out but the little key lock must be in the wrong position (sorry about the newbie terminology) , we have no key for the door and cannot rotate the locking mechanism, so i guess i have to try to slide the thin metal tool in "somewhere" or drill it out, (not idea how to do that) im hoping explosives may help!!!

Old 01-25-09, 09:28 AM
I personally do not think explaining where to drill in a public forum like this is appropriate because people could use that info for illegitimate purposes.

I suggest call a locksmith.

If you are using Whitco, you are obviously in Australia. The smaller locksmiths are inexpensive usually. Whitco cylinders are very easy to pick. If you can take the door off and take it to a locksmith they can pick it in under 5 minutes, might cost you $10.

Old 01-25-09, 07:08 PM
P
whitco lock

well i got it out and relaced it with the new one, so thanks for your advice.

Old 03-19-10, 02:13 PM
S
Help!!

I have exactly the same problem... and thought your post was going to help... but you just say you fixed the problem, not HOW you fixed it. None of the ideas here worked.

What did you do??

(Just as an aside... my nephew is a 3rd year apprentice locksmith... but do you think I can get him off his arse to help!!)

Old 03-19-10, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well...smcd..the post is over a year old...someone may see it and help.

If you want..just start a new thread...we have a very good lock guy (or 2) with plenty of answers...

Oh...and welcome to the forums...

Old 03-19-10, 04:37 PM
In Whitco security door locks, the cam (in the middle of the cylinder) is loose.

That means it is possible (difficult) to manipulate the cam to the position where it will come out.

To be able to get the cylinder out, the lock needs to be locked. Only in the lock position will the cam be correctly located to enable you to withdraw the cylinder, after removing the retaining screw from the door edge.

To lock the door in the open position you will need to press the little latch above the main latch (for deadlocking model) to enable the cylinder to turn completely to the lock position.

Old 03-20-10, 12:35 AM
S
Problem solved!!

Thanks for the ideas - but I ended up driling the tumbler out. It is amazing what a man can achieve with a hammer and a power drill... :-}

Great site - I will be back...

Old 01-28-12, 08:09 PM
M
Thanks GlobalLocky. This solved the same issue for me. I locked it into open position as you described. this moved the cam to about horizontal position. i then used a hairpin to slot in and slide the cam the rest of te way up. Barrel came out just fine and was able to replace all.
many thanks

Old 02-06-12, 11:35 PM
no worries mate!
Hope you bought a new cylinder at a locksmith shop.

Old 04-30-13, 04:26 AM
J
thanks globallocky

got an issue with an over enthusiastic ex mrs so i had to change my locks.... had the issue with no key to lock the barrel to remove it.

i saw ur suggestion involving a thin metal tool between barrel and housing so i tried a strand of copper wire and voila... ur a legend thanks heaps from perth western australia... turned a headache into a 1 minute fix

Old 05-01-13, 03:06 PM
No worries mate! i hope you too bought your replacement cylinder from a local locksmith!

Old 09-21-13, 06:16 PM
Followed all this fine advice but still stuck

Hi DIYers,
First post here. Enjoying the depth of wisdom on this Whitco lock thread. My problem is that the latch won't turn fully to the lock position (hence the need to replace the lock and the need to remove it). There is a nice youtube video of how the mechanism works so I know what I am trying to do but can't quite manage it because the little lug that turns outside the barrel of the lock jams when the key is about half way round. That means the lug can't return to line up with the narrow part of the barrel assembly and so it sticks out and prevents the barrel from sliding out of the latch. Any ideas or do I have to drill the latch?
The door is open and I have unscrewed all the handles etc. So close.
Cheers all.
Whitco MK2 security door cylinder removal - YouTube

Old 09-23-13, 02:27 PM
When the door is open, you will probably have to press the little latch in with your finger and pull the larger latch out further with your hand. I suggest the latch return spring is broken. Once the latch is extended fully you will be able to turn the cylinder far enough to withdraw the cylinder.

Old 10-31-14, 11:52 PM
S
Adding a different locked lock problem.
Lock: Whitco sliding security screen door lock [has a select handle (indoors) & snib lever].
Problem: I locked the Lock Body of a new lock, with the select handle & now cannot reset to the unlocked position so it may be installed.
I have fitted the barrel, snib lever & select handle but cannot unlock. Snib lever now will not move. Key seems to rotate in barrel okay. This is a new lock, just unpacked. Help required.

Old 11-01-14, 05:29 PM
S
Managed to unlock it, will see how it installs.

Old 11-02-14, 03:51 PM
the sliding door lock, requires the locking pin to be slid down (inside the body) to unlock. But to have the cylinder work correctly, the lock needs to be locked for cylinder insertion.