Deadbolt won't open

Old 01-31-09, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deadbolt won't open

OK, the deadbolt on the exterior door to the backyard won't open. The knob would turn but the bolt won't move at all and so the door won't open. I don't know what happened to it during this cold winter.

I took off the two screws on the cap from inside and took the cap off to see if could just pull the bolt somehow but it won't move. Any idea on how I can take it out or maybe "fix" it with the door closed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-09, 06:36 PM
Assuming the bolt is not broken, something must be binding or frozen.

Did you try lubrication, pulling, pushing, lifting or leaning down on the door while turning?

If the bolt is broken you may have to pull it apart piece by piece if you cannot spread the frame far enough or remove the hinges to get the door off.

Old 01-31-09, 08:02 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you've not operated the lock for weeks or even months, the cold weather probably did cause the door to bind...since you've got the inside thumbturn off, spray the bolt with WD-40 or similar "penetrating" oil, and, assuming the thumbpiece itself rotates freely, re-assemble it to the lock so you have a good "handle" to turn with. Does the door open in or out? Most residence doors open in, so take a wide chisel or similar flat tool, insert it between the door and the frame next to the bolt, then, while maintaining turning force on the thumbturn, pry the door away from the frame gently, repeatedly, and the bolt should incrementally retract. If no luck, try similar actions with the tool under the threshold to "lift" the door.

Old 02-01-09, 07:12 AM
I have encountered this many times and the simple fix, is to lift the door. It takes the pressure off the bolt.

Take a hammer and chisel. Lay hammer on floor to use as a brace. Put chisel edge under door, levering on the hammer handle.

Stand up, stand on chisel handle with just enough pressure to view the bolt and see the pressure come off, then open the bolt.

Old 02-07-09, 10:20 AM
Tried all the tricks.. sprayed WD-40..waited a day, tried the chisel method as well, but it won't budge..

Took some pictures after taking the top plate off, maybe someone can tell me a way to take it out somehow? So here they are..

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...e/IMG_3022.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...e/IMG_3019.jpg

Thanks!

Old 02-07-09, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Have you inserted a screwdriver into the cross shaped piece and tried to turn it? Does it move freely? You might try pushing down on that little tab on the top at the same time (though I think that may be for adjusting the backset).

If that turns freely and the bolt doesn't retract, you may have to cut it and try to pull the bolt back with needlenose or other tools.

Hopefully a Lock Pro will check in and have more specific advice.

Old 02-07-09, 12:14 PM
Okay. If you had read any of the previous threads you would know NOT to use WD-40.

The lever above the "X" (on top of the mechanism) is connected to the bolt that extrudes into the jamb.

Lift and drag this back and the bolt will open.

If you still cannot. It is because there is pressure on the door. Relieve the pressure and it has to open.

No more advice can be offered, call a tradesman. It is a 15 second job!

Old 02-07-09, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There ya go..I knew someone would be around.

I knew I wasn't right on the purpose of the lever...should have put a disclaimer in there.

You'll get it..

Old 02-10-09, 07:41 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It appears to be an adjustable-backset latch...a lot of these are pretty cheaply made and will jam easily if you put too much force on the cross-cam...last ditch effort would be to use a screwdriver or similar tool to pry apart the case halves surrounding the cross-cam to expose the rod extension of the bolt itself...clamp a vice-grip on it & give it a few blows with a hammer.