dog-proof cabinet latch

Old 05-08-09, 09:36 AM
dog-proof cabinet latch

I have a yellow lab that is much smarter than me (think Marley). I have 3 large, tall drawers on heavy-duty drawer slides, one each for dog food, trash and recycle, and the dog loves getting into all of them, and chewing up the drawer fronts in his attempts.

I have installed positive latch push-button locks (designed for boats and RVs) that require a concerted pushing of the button to both lock and unlock - which is subject to laziness, absent-mindedness and is just plain inconvenient. I am looking for something that is self-locking, but requires a conscious dog-proof action to unlock, that is also attractive. (the under-the-handle bearproof trash-can openers in national parks come to mind).

Child-proof locks are not good, because that 1" of free play will merely tease the dog, causing chewed cabinets.

any ideas would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-09, 11:56 AM
Well, my over-fed brown Lab wouldn't know what to do if the drawer was standing open...spooked by confined spaces, you know........Anyway, two kinds of locks come to mind, both key operated, the one is self-latching, but not as many options, and is more critical to install. Really, the most inexpensive, versatile, easy to install is the so-called cam lock, (a generic term). Available in a wide range of finishes, lengths, and cam configurations, just leave the key in the lock to operate. Your local locksmith will have a small selection, but your best bet are the various websites that specialize in cabinet locks.
The typical cam lock requires a 3/4" hole in the drawer face.

Old 05-08-09, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
They have latches that require a magnet to unlock...I think even HD and similar carry them. They have just a disk on the outside, then you put the magnet assy on the disk and it pops open.

Old 05-08-09, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
They have latches that require a magnet to unlock...I think even HD and similar carry them. They have just a disk on the outside, then you put the magnet assy on the disk and it pops open.
I agree.

Found this site that explains some magnetic cupboard locks. They look inexpensive and easy to fit.

Old 05-12-09, 12:57 PM
thanks for everyone's input! the magnetic lock looks interesting - I may give that a try

Old 05-12-09, 01:38 PM
Hi jm, just want to add my 2-cents. It sounds like you are treating the symptom rather than the problem. I'm always amazed when I see one of the service dogs or just pets that totally do as they are told. I haven't mastered HOW to do that yet, but I'm reading as I need a hearing dog for when my hearing aids are out. I've been practicing on my daughters pups and will start on one for myself soon.

Some of the techniques are so simple and the results can be a real pleasure for both you and your dog.

Bud

Old 05-15-09, 05:00 AM
well, yes you'ved pointed out the obvious, but treating the sympton in this case is easier!

Thanks

Old 05-22-09, 05:29 PM
I can say from experience (chocolate lab owner here) that even if you think they have learned a lesson (like how jumping up to see what's cooking on the stove can result in a singed paw), some dogs just have too much curiosity and willpower to be stopped! Then again, mine is a puppy, but I feel like she will never learn "off!" the counters. At least we have baby-proofed the burners on the stove, which she was jumping up on and turning on the gas!

Old 05-23-09, 09:38 AM
Wink

I know that this is a long shot, but have you tried bitter apple spray on the cabinet drawers, or tabasco sauce? If your dog tries to get in, he/she will get a taste of something awful, and maybe leave it alone.....precluding the need for drawer locks - I used this when my pug mix was TOO interested in where her food was kept, and it worked...even when we were not home....