Schlage Keyed lever, absurd design!!!!

Old 06-19-09, 06:10 PM
Schlage Keyed lever, absurd design!!!!

I installed a new Keyed 'Accent' Schlage Lever today.

This one: LINK

It has a Lever on both sides. One side is keyed, the other side has a 'latch/switch' that you can turn 180 degrees to lock.

So, the way this was APPARENTLY designed, is such that if you are inside, and use the switch to lock from the inside, then the exterior lever does not turn (fine by me), but the interior lever DOES TURN (what the heck?!).

So, if you have not already realized the problem, it is very easy to open a 'locked' door from the interior, walk out, close the door, and get LOCKED OUT!!!

It's the first time I ever see a lock work this way. Normally if you lock from the inside latch, then NEITHER lever (inside or outside) can be turned. This was you KNOW the door is locked and are FORCED to unlock it before exiting.

Is this by design? What was Schlage thinking?!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-09, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I installed a new Keyed 'Accent' Schlage Lever today.

This one: LINK

It has a Lever on both sides. One side is keyed, the other side has a 'latch/switch' that you can turn 180 degrees to lock.

So, the way this was APPARENTLY designed, is such that if you are inside, and use the switch to lock from the inside, then the exterior lever does not turn (fine by me), but the interior lever DOES TURN (what the heck?!).

So, if you have not already realized the problem, it is very easy to open a 'locked' door from the interior, walk out, close the door, and get LOCKED OUT!!!

It's the first time I ever see a lock work this way. Normally if you lock from the inside latch, then NEITHER lever (inside or outside) can be turned. This was you KNOW the door is locked and are FORCED to unlock it before exiting.

Is this by design? What was Schlage thinking?!
This has been purposely designed to comply with life safety codes and fire and building codes. Life Safety and building codes require emergency exit in case of emergency. If your house was full of smoke and you couldnt find the turn button to release the locked inside lever, you would not get out and likely die from asphyxia.

This is a safety issue that you should be thankful to the manufacturer for taking the time to be concerned about your personal safety and security.

Old 06-20-09, 03:23 PM
Well, that is true, but if Schlage was smarter they would make it such that once you open the lever from the inside, it UNLOCKS the cylinder as well... so you dont get locked outside.

Thanks for your post, this one was useful, you other one wasn't!
Originally Posted by GlobalLocky View Post
This has been purposely designed to comply with life safety codes and fire and building codes. Life Safety and building codes require emergency exit in case of emergency. If your house was full of smoke and you couldnt find the turn button to release the locked inside lever, you would not get out and likely die from asphyxia.

This is a safety issue that you should be thankful to the manufacturer for taking the time to be concerned about your personal safety and security.

Old 06-20-09, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Well, that is true, but if Schlage was smarter they would make it such that once you open the lever from the inside, it UNLOCKS the cylinder as well... so you dont get locked outside.

Thanks for your post, this one was useful, you other one wasn't!

What are you talking about?

The design of the push button/turnbutton is deliberate so that you can have either option. Both permanently locked or able to be left unlocked.

Do you realize what you are writing before you write it?

Old 06-20-09, 09:43 PM
Not sure what you're referring to... mine only has a turnbutton, it cannot be pushed!

This is for the F51 lock/lever. Let's go over this again: One side is keyed. The other side has a TURNBUTTON only. It does not get 'pushed' to lock. Only gets turned.

So, if I turn the button from the inside, I am still able to open the door from the inside and exit. In this situation, if the door closes up behind me, I am locked out.

Yes, I understand this is how it works 'by design'. But it's a POOR design.

The proper way to implement this would be that the cylinder should UNLOCK automatically if the door is opened from the inside. Much like those 'pushbutton' locks work.

Originally Posted by GlobalLocky View Post
What are you talking about?

The design of the push button/turnbutton is deliberate so that you can have either option. Both permanently locked or able to be left unlocked.

Do you realize what you are writing before you write it?