I read somewhere on this forum that Schlage 6 pin C keyway isnt good...

Old 07-16-10, 01:32 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question I read somewhere on this forum that Schlage 6 pin C keyway isnt good...

I read somewhere on this forum that Schlage 6 pin C keyway isn't good so my question is why?

Old 07-19-10, 08:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt say it isnt any good. It is a subjective comment. In terms of pick resistance, it is reasonable. But, to be honest, you shouldnt need to worry about having your locks picked unless by a professional and if that is your worry, then upgrade to Abloy or Bilock as they are virtually impossible to pick.

Old 07-20-10, 09:00 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
What Global said, plus:

In the class of pin-tumbler cylinders other than "restricted/high-security" it is better than most, only if Schlage original---aftermarket 6-pin C keyway cylinders (of which there are many) are of lesser quality, ie., easier to pick, bump, drill, etc.

The main objection to this particular keyway, original or otherwise, is that in the last 10-15 years it has become the standard keyway for most imported locks, at least in the USA, esp. commercial locks, so they are found everywhere now. Using all 6 pins will reduce the possibility of unintended key interchanges, however.

Using an oddball keyway would ensure that very few random keys would even enter the lock, let alone turn it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: