Another Schlage Removal Question

Old 08-16-09, 05:20 PM
Another Schlage Removal Question

So I have a Schlage deadbolt, where it's keyed on the outside and just a handle to turn on the inside.

Typically, I've had either screws, or the holes where the screws automagically appear when turning the bolt.

On this, there's a cheap brass plate covering (I presume) where the screws are. There's a little slot on the bottom where I can put a flat screwdriver and pop off the plate.

Trouble is, the bolt handle doesn't come off!

There's a little hole on the stem of the handle; I thought there might be a set screw in there, but there is not. Then I had figured if I put a thin something or other (like the long piece of a small allen wrench), and turned the bolt, I'd find a spot where I could put pressure on the wrench and pop the bolt handle off (like on a levered door handle, when you need to reverse it, you know?).

I'm leary about applying brute force.

I do need help!

Thanks in advance.

(I just got a digital camera, and tried to get pictures (literally, first pics I tried taking)... But I can't figure out how to get the flash to not interfere.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-09, 07:00 PM
You've prob'ly got it by now, the Schlage BA series takes a poke tool to push the retainer when the T-Turn is about the 10:30 (or 1:30) position (depending on handing).

Old 08-18-09, 07:57 PM
Actually I've been out of town since I posted - so no I don't have it yet!

Is there supposed to be a hole where it releases/snaps out? Can't find it!

Old 08-19-09, 12:38 PM
Schlage Locks

Hello,

Sorry for the delay on the response. But what you will need to do to get it off is use a corner of a coat hanger or something small enough to fit in that hole and tap on it. You will have to apply pressure if it has been on there for a while or a few years. You won't break it by applying pressure. There is a metal casting piece that is holding it on. Or call our customer service and we can further assist you.

Customer Service: 1-800-847-1864

Old 08-19-09, 01:07 PM
I've since found out you don't have to position the T-Turn in any particular position to remove it, and that the retainer is sometimes hard to push, so use the biggest tool you can get to go in the hole.

Old 08-20-09, 11:20 AM
I've been using an allen wrench - pretty sturdy - but no matter how hard I push, nothing happens.

Will have to try next week.

I bet I end up using a hack saw.

rjb

Old 08-21-09, 02:58 PM
Oh no, not the hacksaw!! How about taking a nail, clamp a pair of baby Vice Grips or small pliers just under the head & cut it off leaving about 3/16ths" exposed beyond the pliers, position it in the hole then use a small pair of Channellocks with one jaw on the head of nail, theother on the opposite side of the t-turn spindle, to put more force on the retainer.

Old 08-28-09, 03:25 PM
Sorry. Been out of the country. Heading back out of town tomorrow night, so tomorrow's my day to do this.

Is the 800 number answered on Saturday?

I don't know that I totally understand your suggestion re: the nail.

I guess I just don't have a good mental picture of what exactly is supposed to be happening. In my mind, I'm thinking of something like a reversible door lever, where there's some kind of spring action you push against. Here, I just can't figure out what the "engineering" is behind pushing in and turning... What's not happening that should be????????

Argh!

Old 08-30-09, 10:39 AM
Don't push in & turn, push in & PULL.... a drop of penetrating oil can't hurt, as well.