I screwed up rekeying - suggestions?

Old 09-12-09, 07:13 AM
I screwed up rekeying - suggestions?

I screwed up at my first attempt at rekeying. I now know what I did wrong but not sure of recovery options.

While pulling out the cylinder plug from the cylinder housing all 10 pins and springs fell out. I proceeded to put back just the springs and 5 new pins. I didn't realize that I needed to put back five of the pins with a flat side on both ends on top of the springs and then the new pins in the cylinder plug.

Any recommendations on getting the cylinder plug out of the cylinder housing?

Or, do I need to purchase a new cylinder plug and housing? If so any recommendations on where to purchase the parts (other than a local locksmith).

This a from a Schlage deadbolt. As a last resort I'll go to a locksmith since I prefer to DIY.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-09, 08:39 AM
I understand the motivation to try to save a buck or two by DIY, but sometimes, as in this example, it could prove more costly to take your lock to the locksmith (after the horse has bolted).

In order to remove the barrel (core) from the cylinder, it is necessary to use a tool called a follower (or "Push Thru").

It is simply a piece of dowel, steel rod or tube, 1/2" in diameter.

You turn the barrel (with the key) to keep pins from dropping out and use follower to push the barrel out from the rear. This will prevent the top pins (flat both ends) from dropping out.

Old 09-12-09, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I didn't get the process correct the first time but now understand it since I succesfully completed rekeying the other side of the deadbolt.

I was just looking for recovery options.

Saving a buck is only part of the DIY motivation. Learning something new and tinkering plays a big part for me.

Old 09-13-09, 07:57 AM
There's a couple of methods to remove the plug where only one set of pins & the springs are installed....but without going into a locksmithing course here, if you have a smithy nearby, the best bet is to take the cylinder to him, ask him what he would charge to "shim" it open, being sure to tell him it only has one set of pins in it. Occasionally, in the process, a spring is damaged, but he will give you a new one. This is a learned technique, so while he may not charge anything, (tell him you are interested in learning the trade), he may want $5-$10. Consider it an investment in your knowledge.

Old 09-15-09, 05:15 AM
I took the cylinder to a locksmith and he just gave me a new cylinder (no charge) ready to be re-pinned rather than undoing my mistake. I was then able to complete the rekeying process on all door locks.

While rekeying can be a DIY project you need to be patient and pay attention to all details. It's easy to have pins and springs fall out if you are not careful. Putting them back is not too hard as long as you know they fell out.