Keyed dead bolt, no screws

Old 12-30-09, 02:06 PM
Keyed dead bolt, no screws

A neighbor asked me to replace the dead bolt in her security door. It is a simple dead bolt, keyed inside and out. Her problem is that from the outside the lock feels as if it operates correctly, but the bolt doesn't move. From the inside the key won't even turn. There are no screws in the face or set screws in the collar and, though the collar will turn, it isn't threaded, so it won't come off that way. I have no idea how to remove the lock. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-09, 02:32 PM
nap
any brand name?

pics, especially of the inside portion might be helpful.

Old 12-31-09, 03:32 PM
No longer a problem. She had a locksmith in today and the only way he could remove the lock was to bend the door. Did I mention that the lock could not be opened? I think I only implied it. Anyway, the only way to remove it was to get to the faceplate and pull out the entire casing. Thanks anyway.

Old 12-31-09, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
He bent the door?

Old 01-02-10, 08:29 AM
Yup, a little bit. He couldn't get the bolt to function at all, so he had to get at the faceplate. I didn't actually see what he had done, he just said he had to "bend things a little" to get the lock out. The door looked fine when he was finished . . . maybe he bent part of the lock and I misunderstood him.