Replace old door knob

Old 12-27-09, 05:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace old door knob

I have an old door knob that I'm trying to replace. I was able to remove the old one, but the new one I bought is much different. The piece that I removed from the inside of the door is a large, self contained "box" (approx 2" x 3"); whereas the replacement part isn't a box at all. And the new door knob cannot go into the door without me cutting a large circular hole. Its an old door, so perhaps I need to just replace the entire door? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 12-27-09, 05:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What you need is a mortise lock. They still make them but you will need to look on line or perhaps there is a architectural hardware company near you.

The alternative is to cut a block of wood to fit in the mortise. You glue it in then drill the door for a modern lock.

If you just need new knobs even some Big Box stores carry them.

Old 12-28-09, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by jmh12345
I have an old door knob that I'm trying to replace. I was able to remove the old one, but the new one I bought is much different. The piece that I removed from the inside of the door is a large, self contained "box" (approx 2" x 3"); whereas the replacement part isn't a box at all. And the new door knob cannot go into the door without me cutting a large circular hole. Its an old door, so perhaps I need to just replace the entire door? Any thoughts are appreciated.
If you removed a lock from the inside of the door, you could be talking about a rim mounted nightlatch. They are usually the dimensions you are describing.

A mortise lock is installed inside the body of the door and is larger than 2" x 3" (usually).

You need to ask for a rim mounted nightlatch, I suspect.

Last edited by GlobalLocky; 12-28-09 at 02:33 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 12-28-09, 03:51 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I was thinking mortise lock because he wrote:
The piece that I removed from the inside of the door is a large, self contained "box" (approx 2" x 3");
. Notice he said inside the door. However those dimensions do sound off for a mortise lock.

Old 12-29-09, 02:11 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
The measurements given could fit either a "Rim Night Latch" of the type designed to accept a pin-tumbler Rim cylinder, (or "modern" type key) or the much older rim-mounted knobset, the locking version of which takes a "Skeleton" key. The former, operated by a thumbturn on the inside and key outside, is avail at most hardware stores incl big box. The latter, operated by knob inside and out is , I think, still avail at a well-stocked Ace Harware store, or your local locksmith can get you one. These have become pretty rare in the USA...

Old 12-29-09, 02:46 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Re-reading your post, it does sound like you have a "Rim Knobset". I think Taylor or Ilco still make these...they are very inexpensive and cheaply made, as they usually go on old-timey doors that themselves are not long for the world...

That is not to say that high quality rim knobsets are not to be had...other countries use this style of lock far more than we do, therefore with far more selection...

Global may know if Baldwin (USA) might have this style; they do make a very wide range of full-mortise locks for the upscale older residential market, so they might have a Rim style.

Old 12-30-09, 08:35 AM
Russwin used to make 'em before the merge with Corbin.

They make some quality brass locks in India that will replace, but I wouldnt know where to get them here. I know a factory in Mumbai that could send them to me, but there's a minimum order of 100 units. Hardly worth the expense for 1 sale.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: