tighten this doorknob?

Old 01-08-10, 02:19 PM
tighten this doorknob?

Got one of these kinda door knobs in our workplace which is loose and needs to be tightened. http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1296.jpg
It wiggles all around when you touch it. The cover rings there mounted flush to each side of the door seem tight, but the rest of it is loose. How the heck do I access the screws to tighten these type of door knobs. I know there is small holes you can push a pin type poker into to get into things, and I have one of those tools, but I pushed in on it and nothing seemed to want to come off still. What's the secret or trick, please. Any advice appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-10, 07:08 PM
Knowing the brand name, located on the latch plate, would be most helpful, but your pic. suggests this type of lock uses a spanner tool to screw the inside collar up against the rose, (the round plate). This collar should have, somewhere aronnd it's circumference, a hole that the spanner tool engages. Since you no doubt do not have this spanner tool, see if you can turn it (the inner collar), clockwise by hand until it snugs the lock up, then
CAREFULLY use channellocks or similar pliers, with a rag between the collar and pliers to avoid scratching the lock, and tighten the collar a bit more.

Old 01-09-10, 09:28 AM
The brand name is Schlage. I was able to tighten it after simply turning the rose on one side of the door clockwise with my hand; it is apparently threaded on. I might snug it up a little more with a pair of channel locks. Wasn't as complicated as I had initially assumed. There were no screws I even needed to access to get the thing tightened.

thanks