Front door lock not working

Old 01-27-10, 04:41 PM
Front door lock not working

I just purchased my home in November, so I have limited knowledge of the parts that went into it, but here it goes...

Yesterday when I unlocked the door, when I took the key out it felt like someone was pushing it out to me (normally I have to tug it out a little, but this time it felt almost forced out). Today when I tried to unlock, the key would only go in a little at a time. After 20 minutes of cursing, jiggling and working the key in I managed to get the door open. I noticed when I was trying to get in that the doorknob seemed slightly "loose" like I could move it up and down and to the sides a little. Any ideas what's going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-10, 10:50 AM
Don't know how old your lock is, but the description you give matches exactly what happens to an old Weslock brand knob lock when the plug screw starts to get loose. If it's any other brand, the problem could be a number of things, including just being worn out. The average residential "Key-in the Knob" type lock is usually cheap enough that replacement is a better option, and you can replace it with a higher quality unit.

A poorly-duplicated key will be hard to insert and withdraw, also.

Old 01-28-10, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by rstripe View Post
Don't know how old your lock is, but the description you give matches exactly what happens to an old Weslock brand knob lock when the plug screw starts to get loose. If it's any other brand, the problem could be a number of things, including just being worn out. The average residential "Key-in the Knob" type lock is usually cheap enough that replacement is a better option, and you can replace it with a higher quality unit.

A poorly-duplicated key will be hard to insert and withdraw, also.
Couldnt have said it better myself!