Latch fastened with no screws?

Old 01-28-10, 11:27 PM
Latch fastened with no screws?

Hello all, I tried searching but didn't find anything similar to my issue..

Tried replacing some door knobs in my mother in law's house. After removing the door knobs I see that the latch is inserted with no screws. In the past I've always seen the two screws that fasten the latch to the door. This just has a small ring that's flush with the wood around the latch.

I tried prying it out by using a screwdriver and pushing on it from the backside but it's really wedged in there and I'm worried I might damage the door by forcing it.

Door knobs are about 40 years old.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-10, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by mailion View Post
Hello all, I tried searching but didn't find anything similar to my issue..

Tried replacing some door knobs in my mother in law's house. After removing the door knobs I see that the latch is inserted with no screws. In the past I've always seen the two screws that fasten the latch to the door. This just has a small ring that's flush with the wood around the latch.

I tried prying it out by using a screwdriver and pushing on it from the backside but it's really wedged in there and I'm worried I might damage the door by forcing it.

Door knobs are about 40 years old.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Knock in latches are quite common. It was developed for builders because it saved time by not having to check in the face plate, hence cost.

It will pry out, but make sure you have taken the knobs off first and pushed from inside.

Old 01-29-10, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the help! I'll try that out.

Old 01-29-10, 02:32 PM
If the lock is a "Post" type, where the latch body has 2 post holes and a spindle hole, I've had good results by slipping a #2 phillips screwdriver (or similar rod) thru the post hole nearest the door edge, and with both hands on either end of the screwdriver, pulled straight out. It will loosen the latch so you can pull it on out. This method minimizes damage to the door & latch.