Identify/rekey funky lock type...

Old 03-18-10, 01:50 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Identify/rekey funky lock type...

I recently bought a house that was built in the 50's, but I believe the doorknobs to be considerably newer than that. The locks appear to be doorknob-based deadbolts. I have no idea the official name for these and google was not much help. Basically it looks like a regular doorknob latchset until you turn the lock in the doorknob, at which point the bar comes out the extra length of a deadbolt.

A) what's this style of lock called and who makes it? I can't find a manufacturer name on it anywhere, so I had no way to look it up.

B) Can this type of lock be rekeyed like a regular deadbolt? I'm thinking the DIY on rekeying them myself might be a bit out of my league (there are four of these type of locks, and one push in and turn type doorknob all on the same key right now). I'd like to price out having it done, but have no idea how to describe the job to a locksmith without a manufacturer, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-18-10, 03:17 PM
In Australia, we used to sell a product called the Gainsborough Trilock.

It did what you said, the latch will extend, when turned by the key when the door is closed, to work like a deadbolt. This enables one lock to do what 2 locks do now.

In the USA, Weiser used to manufacture a similar product. I believe it is discontinued.

Here is the product specs...

http://www.hardwarestore.com.au/gain...gh_Trilock.pdf

Old 03-18-10, 03:20 PM
They can be rekeyed to Kwikset type keys or other Weiser keys.

I suggest you take them to a locksmith for rekeying.

Old 03-18-10, 07:26 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Yeah, it was called a "Weiserbolt" and may well have been discontinued as you don't see new ones anymore. Your other lock, the "push in the knob & turn to lock" identifies that one as a Weiser as well. The Weiserbolt never caught on well for several reasons: 1)Expense, 2)poor ergonomics, 3)No visual deterrant, since it looks like a regular knoblock.

Kinda tricky getting the cylinder out if I recall (it's been about 15 years) but with cylinder in hand it's just a Weiser.

Put one on my folks house back then, but after a few months they said take it off, was too hard to operate....part of the problem is on doors that tend to spring back open when fully closed, due to the (then popular), sheet metal weatherstripping. A seperate latchset and deadbolt is best here, as the latchset will take the opening pressure leaving the deadbolt to operate freely.

Old 03-18-10, 09:20 PM
In some ways I agree about the separate deadbolt and handle although there is significant call for the style of the Gainsborough product.

The one drawback however, is the need to make sure to drill the bolt/latch hole at least an inch deeper than normal.

Many doors and frames come pre-fabricated these days and the strike hole is rarely more than 1 inch deep, hence why I suggest the Weiserbolt never really caught on. Builders could not get their heads around the requirement for such a deep strike hole.

Old 03-19-10, 02:08 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Yeah, and the fact that, for the builder, a pre-fab door with 2 lock holes, to accept a cheap knob lock and deadbolt was still much cheaper than a Weiserbolt in a 1-hole door...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: