Remove knob, door locked!

Old 03-27-10, 07:03 AM
Remove knob, door locked!

i have the fun experience of having an exterior door knob fail while the door is closed. Door knob turns but no longer retracts locking bolt (there's a deadlock too but that's working fine).

I removed the hinges but the door's too tight and i don't want to chow up the door and walls prying it open. Tried pushing from the outside but can't budge it.

I am trying to remove the handle from the interior. The door know is a Schlage and probably 15 yrs old. There does not appear to be a release pin. Rather there is a paper-clip thin, rectangular 'clip'. i assume this releases the door know but can't get it to work.

I've put up a couple of phots on picassa...hopefully they're accessible (not sure public/private settings on this thing)

Last edited by jberkley17; 03-27-10 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added image
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-10, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
pictures first have to be uploaded to a web site that is on the internet (your own, or one like photobucket) then you paste the link to the pictures here.

You probably need to depress the tab that is on the base of the handle (use a tiny straight screwdriver) and pull the handle toward you as you remove the screwdriver. you may need to do this several times, but basically you are trying to depress that tab so that the handle will bump over it and come off. Once the handle is off, the door knob rose should come off, exposing the screws that hold it to the knob on the opposite side.

Old 03-27-10, 05:44 PM
No pics to see yet...
A "U" shaped wire clip acts as a spring on the Schlage "A" series knoblocks to retain the rose. But first pull the knob off by depressing the retainer that protrudes thru a rectangular slot at the 3 o'clock position on the spindle, (narrowest part of the knob).....then the rose can be gently pried off.

Remove the 2 machine screws that hold the backing plate, remove the plate, then push the lock out of the hole.

Then, you may have to use a pair of needle-nose to grasp the little stem of the latch to pull it in and open the door.

Old 03-28-10, 10:38 AM
where's the 'rectangular' slot?

I can't seem to find the rectangular slot...should that be closest to the knob or the door? Not sure why the pictures don't show as the album on picassa says that it's public

thanks for your help

Originally Posted by rstripe View Post
No pics to see yet...
A "U" shaped wire clip acts as a spring on the Schlage "A" series knoblocks to retain the rose. But first pull the knob off by depressing the retainer that protrudes thru a rectangular slot at the 3 o'clock position on the spindle, (narrowest part of the knob).....then the rose can be gently pried off.

Remove the 2 machine screws that hold the backing plate, remove the plate, then push the lock out of the hole.

Then, you may have to use a pair of needle-nose to grasp the little stem of the latch to pull it in and open the door.

Old 03-28-10, 11:29 AM
Smile Problem Solved!

Thanks rstripe. I looked at a similar handle that wasn't stuck and found the slot to remove the handle. Then went back to the 'stuck' lock, and just ripped the thin rose off (i was replacing this lock anyway). Once the rose was removed, I was able to find the slot on this lock too. I removed the handle and disassembled the lock. i was able to remove the bolt and open the door!

Thank you both for your help. Nice to have a win.

Old 03-28-10, 06:41 PM
Good! Yeah, on a door that's a little thicker than normal,
(1-3/4") and/or the lock was not adjusted properly when originally installed, that slot will be hidden just under the rose, and therefore require a little "Southern Engineering" to remove.