Screws on outside?

Old 06-07-10, 06:18 PM
Screws on outside?

Hi I have a Schlage single deadbolt lock where the screws are on outside the door under a trim ring ( I cannot remove the trim ring just spins)that hold the cylinder in. I can see the philips heads from the outside under the trim ring but cannot get anything in there to turn them. on the inside I can see the bottom of the screws coming from outside. On the lock on my other door( same type of lock) the screws that hold the cylinder in they are a located on the inner side of the door and come right out to remove the cylinder (3screws). Thanks N

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-10, 04:41 PM
Unless you have a relatively new lock/design, (I'm not up on all the latest), you may have a "Lori" deadbolt.....answer these questions to confirm:
1) Where does the name "Schlage" appear? On the key and/or the cylinder that the key goes into, OR on the plate surrounding the bolt itself, on the edge of the door?
2) I Assume you have key outside & thumbturn inside?
( ie., "single-cylinder" deadbolt)
3) Is the deadbolt somewhat loose on the door, enabling you to peek behind the trim ring or collar to see these 3 screws you describe, which would otherwise not be visible if the lock were tight to the door?

Old 06-08-10, 07:47 PM
HI, the name Schlage is on the key nowhere else, yes key outside and thumbturn inside, yes the lock is some what loose, enough to see the screws but no access even with a small 90% screw driver it seems the cylinder is holding the trim ring on ( in order cylinder trimring,door) Thanks

Old 06-08-10, 08:17 PM
Pretty sure it's a Lori, then...the key cylinder is a standard Mortise cylinder that screws into an inner body, and is prevented from unscrewing with a tiny set screw that seats into a groove along the side of the cylinder. The set screw must be loosened with an allen wrench 2-3 turns CCW to allow you to unscrew & remove the cylinder. The Allen (Hex) wrench size is either 1/8" or 3/32" (been awhile, can't remember) A "cluster" allen set usually won't work because the wrenches aren't long enough, you'll need the individual wrench, the longest you can find. Start by removing the plate surrounding the bolt on the door's edge. With the bolt in the unlock position, insert the allen wrench alongside and adjacent the bolt, making sure it's on the cylinder side of the bolt, ie., not the thumbturn side. You can't see the set screw, but you'll know you're there when the wrench bottoms out & there is resistance to turning it.
Once loosened, use your key, partially inserted, to unscrew the cylinder. That's it!