Rack bolt problem

Old 06-16-10, 09:40 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rack bolt problem

I have a rack bolt with a star key in a rebated wooden balcony door. It's stuck locked; the star key just turns and doesn't get any grip. What can I do? I can't tell what brand the lock is, btw.

Old 06-16-10, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi Stella...and welcome.

This is mostly a US/N. America site, but we have a couple of lock guys with worldwide experience. Haven't seen them too often lately...but hopefully they will check in and help you out.

Old 06-17-10, 07:24 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Global is more "international" so perhaps he'll chime in directly, but I'll give it a stab....interesting differences in terminology from across the Pond, but I'll assume "rack bolt" is what we call a "mortise bolt", working on the "rack & pinion" principle, that "star key" is a "cruciform" key (4 rows of pin tumblers), that "rabated" is a "rabbetted" door edge.

A common failure with our mortise bolts when they get old, is that the teeth on the rack & pinion get worn to the point that the bolt is able to be thrown past it's "last tooth" and the pinion becomes detached from the rack, and so, it just spins to no effect. The only remedy was to take a knife or similar, and pry the bolt back enough so it re-engages the pinion. It helps if you have one person prying and another turning the key. Of course, the rabbet may make it hard to access the bolt, but it's just an idea.

Old 06-18-10, 12:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are two common brands in UK that use the cruciform type keys. Yale and Papaiz. I suggest it's probably the latter.

If the key just spins without engaging the mechanism, the lug that holds the cylinder core in place has probably broken off.

Call a locksmith on this one. It is somewhat difficult to explain the procedure. Suffice to say the lock will probably need to be drilled.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: