keyless entry locks

Old 09-14-10, 10:33 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
keyless entry locks

Am looking for suggestions for the best/most reliable keyless touchpad entry lock for a business building. We'd like one that offers the capability for multiple individuals to have their own code to enter the building.
Thanks,...

Old 09-15-10, 06:55 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Seems like every day I see a new keyless entry product on the market.....Really, assuming you stick to the better known brands, (owned by Ingersol-Rand, Assa-Abloy, Stanley, & a few others), quality differences are not great; the biggest factor will be the installing contractor, or if you will DIY, your care in selecting the appropriate components & your competency to install them.

You need to answer several questions first:
1) How many PIN #'s now, and for future projection?
2) Program by keypad, or computer software, or I/R reader?
3) How often anticipate adding/deleting codes?
4) Self-contained battery operated or Hard-Wired?
5) What type of existing door & lock involved? Surrounding walls? Degree of weather resistance needed?
6) How particular on style/finish?
7) Integrate with existing alarm system?
8) need "door prop", "forced door", "tamper" alarm outputs?
9) need real-time reporting functions?
10) vulnerability of code entry being observed by others?

These & other considerations will help narrow down your selection.

Old 09-15-10, 07:08 PM
L
Thank you!

Since I didn't even know who the major brands were, your comments are very helpful and give me lots of info for thought and planning. Thanks!

Old 09-15-10, 07:48 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
My pleasure, and one other important factor comes to mind after I posted: How much physical security do you need on this door? Assuming that you now use a deadbolt to lock your door, most access control locks (not all) that employ digital & card entry, actually degrade your break-in resistance, due to the fact that access control almost by definition, requires installing self-locking/latching hardware. There are ways to maintain a high level of physical security with the convenience of access control, but they're not cheap.

And since you asked such a loaded question, here's another poser: Many metropolitan jurisdictions require Permitting before installing any hardwired system....check with your local authorities.

OK, I'm done.

Old 09-15-10, 09:49 PM
L
Good tips!

We were hoping to not have to hard-wire, and your tip about the permits reinforces those thoughts. Not sure about the physical security issue, as I don't know the area, but thanks for the heads-up.

Old 09-17-10, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are many different brands available. But one that I have found particular good quality, wireless, pin code and/or fingerprint with up to 1000 finger prints and pin codes is made by Bioaxxis.

Bioaxxis have since ceased operations in the USA but the product is still available by other suppliers.

It is know as the Bioaxxis Thumblock.

It does depend greatly on the application though. I strongly recommend NOT to use it on external weathered applications, although it is designed to work in those conditions.

I installed one on a police station that got heavy use, but it failed within 9 months. I subsequently installed a mechanical digital lock that has withstood the abuse and continues to maintain access control, security and convenience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: