Keyed Deadbolt Broken in Locked Position - No Visible Screws

Old 10-05-10, 12:46 PM
Keyed Deadbolt Broken in Locked Position - No Visible Screws

An old "S.C.N. Security" brand deadbolt is locked and the key just turns around and around (with a slight click). The interior and exterior hardware looks the same: A common style, with a tapered round outer ring that turns only, a face with no screws, and a smaller circle for the key at the bottom of the larger circular face.

I have read elsewhere that removal might require going in through the plate on the door edge - impossible in this situation with the door locked. I hope that this is not the case. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-10, 02:05 PM
Where do you see the name "S.C.N. Security"? on the key? Be sure to look at the plate where the bolt protrudes out of on the door's edge, as this is where a lock's brand name is usually found. If there is no name anywhere on the lock, it's likely a cheap made-in-China brand.
"Lori" is the brand where you have to remove the edge plate (double-cylinder only) & use a 5/64" Allen wrench of at least 2-1/2" length to loosen the set screws, in order to unscrew the key cylinders.

Old 10-05-10, 02:23 PM
In re-reading your post, I see you can't access the door's edge, and I assume you can't access the inside of the door to use the key there...ie., you are simply locked out. Depending on the brand, this means, in most cases, the lock will have to be drilled out. Your local locksmith can do this with minimum fuss and no damage to the door.
Do verify that you can't access the inside of the door, by way of another entry into the building, because if you can, there may be other options.

Old 10-05-10, 02:29 PM
I do have interior and exterior access. The name of the lock is on the circular faceplate.

Old 10-05-10, 08:44 PM
Could be a brand I've not heard of, but more likely a reseller's name. Anyway, the complete absence of visible screws, even shuttered holes for screws, on a double-cylinder deadbolt suggests it is probably a Lori. A close-up photo would confirm.
The Lori uses mortise cylinders surrounded by a protective, free spinning collar or ring on both sides of the door....these collars are shallower than other types of deadbolt lock collars; they only project about 5/8" from the door's surface.

Does the key act the very same way on the inside cylinder as it does on the outside? ie., just spins round & round? With the possibility that the bolt has not "deadlocked", try, from the pull side of the door, inserting a pry tool to separate the door from the frame just enough to try to pry back the bolt with a small screwdriver or similar. No Go? Then, since you have access to the hinges, drive the pins out so you can carefully remove the door that way. Helps to have two people do that.

Old 10-06-10, 11:14 AM
rstripe -

Thanks again. Looks like I'll have to get it drilled. Answers to your follow up:
Spinning collars are 1/2" deep
Key behaves the same on both sides
There is a space, but no movement of bolt with prying
I did pull the hinge pins, but the door side of the hinges hits the frame side of the hinges and the door can't be removed

Locksmiths are expensive in here (San Francisco Bay Area.) One guy wanted $125 just to show up! I'll keep shopping.

Old 10-06-10, 12:16 PM
some double cylinder deadbolts are copies of the Schlage, where the inside cylinder cover plate just pops off to reveal 2 philips screws underneath.

It may be one of them.

Or it could be like the Baldwin ones where the outer ring unscrews and the cylinder cover plate just pops off.

Old 10-06-10, 02:22 PM
Just measured a Lori collar...9/16" so that could very well be what you have. On the hinge knuckles: yeah, sometimes you have to pry a bit....for $125 I'd pry a little more. Wow...in our area service call charges are up to $55-$65 this year....your cost of living must be higher. Good Luck.

Old 10-08-10, 07:23 AM
End of story:
The locksmith had a magic touch, and the door opened with the key - after days of spinning for me! We discovered that the opposing faceplate was too low, with the top of the bolt hitting it, causing the bolt to be pressed down and hang up. This was enough to allow the key turning lever to slide over the the bolt cam and make the click as the key kept on rotating. He identified the lock as an Adams Rite, regardless of the S.C.N. name.

I thanked him, moved up the opposing faceplate a bit, and all now works fine.

Old 10-08-10, 01:51 PM
Glad it worked out for you...I did not suspect Adams Rite, as that is primarily a commercial lock, found mostly on glass & aluminum doors,
and most inquiries on this site are about residential locks....nevertheless, without a photo to go by it is sometimes a challenge to ask all the right questions & get all the right answers.
But we try!